Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

whirlpool water softener; water too soft???

I have a whirlpool water softner model wheshc "LL38" whole house system. It is running fine, however, I also have a Bunn coffee maker and everytime I make coffee the basket overflows and coffee and grounds all over the counter. I love my coffee, and love having it made in 3 min. according to the trouble shooting of the maker (which I just bought a brand new maker) is that my water is to soft and causing the basket to fill to fast causing the overflow.

My question is how do I reset the system so that the water is not so soft? I read in an earlier post that you can not just make the water hardness # lower, Please what do I do???? I need my coffee!!!!!

Thanks for any advice and help on this matter....I do not want to go back to the slower making coffee machinces after having a Bunn....

zenert5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Slow the flow rate on the coffee maker.
There should be a way of controlling how fast the water moves between the heating tank and the pot.

If you add hardness back to the water it will load up on the coffee maker like it did before.

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akpsdvan For This Useful Post:
zenert5 (03-11-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #3

I have had water softeners for 20 years in all my houses and I love the soft water except for drinking. There is too much sodium in soft water and it's not good for you. I have always had a reverse osmosis drinking water system for my cooking and drinking water and that solves the problem of drinking soft water. I have had my water softener plumbed to bypass all outside taps and if I didn't have a RO drinking water system I would have the kitchen cold water tap bypassed. You should look into bypassing the water supply for your coffee maker. Sometimes it's really easy and sometimes it's darn near impossible.
lucknow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lucknow For This Useful Post:
zenert5 (03-11-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Nice blanked statement on sodium in water by a softener.

Have you check the food bought at a store for the sodium count?

Depending on the hardness of the water as to how much sodium will be added to the water, then how much water one drinks as to the level of sodium intake from water, most likely that will still be lower than what the food from the store will have in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Akpsdvan For This Useful Post:
zenert5 (03-11-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #5

Thanks for both replies....
Akpsdvan: after reading your reply I of course went right to it,,,only to open it up and have no idea of what to do,,,but...I did get back online and google that idea further....so thank you,,,I finally found (after googling previously to no avail) the answer to this problem being fairly easy....I discovered I could order a "flow restriction sprayhead" directly from BUNN.....who knew,,,,and I'm not blonde....lol

lucknow: What a great idea, I never thought of doing either one of those two options....we don't have any of our lines bypassed. Including the outside taps, not sure why really. I agree about the taste of the water, I will definately look into getting a RO drinking system. Thanks for the suggestion....

well I guess I wait for a while for the part, I can't call to order the part until Monday, so I'll continue to resort to using alot of paper towel until the part gets to me......that or make a few drive through runs to Timmies...
zenert5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #6

The reason you need to bypass outside taps is that the salt in the water will build up in the soil. This buildup of NaCl will eventually kill grass and plants. If your water is very hard it won't take long to effect vegetation because there will be a lot of salt in that water.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 64

AN RO system is also MUCH better for your health. Takes all kinds of nasty substances out of the water. Giardia etc etc.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
Water Treatment

Might you have the name of the RO system that can handle "Giardia"?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
Nice blanked statement on sodium in water by a softener.

Have you check the food bought at a store for the sodium count?

Depending on the hardness of the water as to how much sodium will be added to the water, then how much water one drinks as to the level of sodium intake from water, most likely that will still be lower than what the food from the store will have in it.
It's still extra sodium no matter what the level. Since the average person already ingests too much then any additional is not good. Studies have shown that too much sodium is the biggest factor in high blood pressure, strokes, kidney disease and heart problems. The Canadian government has detirmined that the reduction in sodium intake is the single biggest thing in preventing these diseases, even bigger than smoking.

Another point I would like to make is that RO systems should always be used on potable water. Sure the membrane will stop bacteria but what will that do to the membrane? Bacteria will grow on it and it will be ruined in short order. A company called Aquafine, here in Canada used to sell an RO system that had a membrane specific for rural water. The idea was that this membrane was in some way resistant to bacteria growing on it and they just "Slipped" off the membrane and down the waste water line. At that time I had a well that tended to get bacteria in it after big rains. Instead of trusting my RO to filter bacteria which it's not really designed for I just dumped a jug of bleach in my well on a regular basis and my mixed bed water softener took the chlorine out of the bacteria free water.
As they say "There's more than one way to skin a cat".
Old 03-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 64

Not sure. I worked in a hospital and we had a institutional grade RO system with UV lights. I would check with Culligan water conditioning or other major water softener and treatment suppliers and do some internet research. I am sure there are good, better and best types of RO systems just like everything else.

I could never stand the taste of drinking water that was softened and cannot imagine anybody drinking it. Any excess salt is NOT good for you. Causes your body to retain water, make you bloated and this increases your blood pressure. Found that out the hard way when I ate a bag of potato chips the day B4 my yearly checkup and my Doc tested my blood pressure and said it was high. Turned out it was the salty chips and a spike rather than the real thing. I asked him what could cause high blood pressure and he said/ wait for it : salt, stress, being overweight, inactivity.

Last edited by yuri; 03-12-2011 at 12:37 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote