DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   whirlpool tub leaks onto bathroom floor (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/whirlpool-tub-leaks-onto-bathroom-floor-25691/)

nashvillebill 08-25-2008 07:29 AM

whirlpool tub leaks onto bathroom floor
 
We have a large whirlpool tub in the master bath. If I join my wife in the tub, somehow it leaks onto the bathroom floor. I assumed it was because I sloshed water out when lying back, but last night I was careful to make sure this didn't happen, but we could see the water level going down so looked and sure enough- water all over the tile floor. No leaks are visible under the tub- at least the area I can see through the access panel and no water is visible on the ceiling below. I suspect it is related to the extra weight as when my wife bathes alone there is no leak, but there don't appear to be any cracks in the tub or anything. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Bill in Nashville

TazinCR 08-25-2008 08:35 AM

Get two people in the tub equal to you and your wife's weight or more. Get a light and mirror and look closely. From what you describe it has to be weight related.

Alan 08-25-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TazinCR (Post 151516)
Get two people in the tub equal to you and your wife's weight or more. Get a light and mirror and look closely. From what you describe it has to be weight related.

oooh la la. :laughing:

I'd almost say overflow shoe is leaking..... You can try filling the tub up and letting it flow over the overflow and see if you get water that way.

nashvillebill 08-25-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 151549)
oooh la la. :laughing:

I'd almost say overflow shoe is leaking..... You can try filling the tub up and letting it flow over the overflow and see if you get water that way.

Thanks for the reply. I can see the area where the overflow drain comes down through the access door and there's no water under the tub. The water level was going down slowly but steadily in spite of the drain being closed. What's so puzzling is, I can't understand how it's going out on the floor, but no water under the tub or on the ceiling below.

nashvillebill 08-25-2008 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TazinCR (Post 151516)
Get two people in the tub equal to you and your wife's weight or more. Get a light and mirror and look closely. From what you describe it has to be weight related.

Thanks for your reply. I agree it seems weight related, but the tub feels solid. I don't know where I'm going to find a 275 pounder to take my place! :) I assume you mean to put a mirror through the access door to look further back? I was using a flashlight...

Marlin 08-25-2008 08:54 PM

Follow the path of the water back under the tub. My bet is the weight is breaking the seal around the drain.

nashvillebill 08-26-2008 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 151751)
Follow the path of the water back under the tub. My bet is the weight is breaking the seal around the drain.

Once the seal is broken, wouldn't it leak all the time? I mean, I can see if the extra weight is present, it would leak more, but in my experience, once a seal is broken it's going to always leak. I'm concerned it is leaking all the time now, just not enough for visible water unless the extra weight is there. I confirmed last night that with just my wife in the tub, no water is visible on the floor. I can't see underneath the far end of the tub unless I cut a hole in the wall on that end which is at the top of a small stairway landing.

buletbob 08-26-2008 07:20 AM

Here is a thought. when your wife is in the tub mark a line on the side of the tub with a grease pencil, then you get in the tub and add another mark at your water level. when the water stops leaking or gets to its lowest point make another mark. check the tub along those last two marks and see if there are any cracks, handles, or over flow drains.that could cause the leak also check inside the access panel along those lines. just my 2 cents BOB

Alan 08-26-2008 10:20 AM

i like the idea of marking the water level, except that letting the water leak until it stops could cause a lot of damage potentially....

Is there a chance that your wife doesn't use the jets everytime by herself, and when you're in the tub together you do turn them on?

sometimes the pump seal goes bad, and it will drip a little when the tub is full above the jets, but it will leak a lot when you turn on the jets.

Fill the tub up above the jets and turn on the pump while watching under the tub to test this theory.

nashvillebill 08-26-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 151914)
i like the idea of marking the water level, except that letting the water leak until it stops could cause a lot of damage potentially....

Is there a chance that your wife doesn't use the jets everytime by herself, and when you're in the tub together you do turn them on?

sometimes the pump seal goes bad, and it will drip a little when the tub is full above the jets, but it will leak a lot when you turn on the jets.

Fill the tub up above the jets and turn on the pump while watching under the tub to test this theory.

I really appreciate all the replies to this question, but I'm realizing I didn't provide enough info. The water level is the same whether it's just my wife, or both of us and the jets are used in both instances. The tub is surrounded by tile and the floor is tile. The only access I have to see under the tub is through a small door on the end opposite where the water first appears. From there I can see the pipe for the overflow and the pump and 3 of the jets. No water appears on this end that I can see. I tried using a mirror, but still can't see the other end. I really don't want to have to open a hole in the wall at the end of the tub as it's visible at the top of a stair landing.

YerDugliness 08-26-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashvillebill (Post 151930)
I tried using a mirror, but still can't see the other end. I really don't want to have to open a hole in the wall at the end of the tub as it's visible at the top of a stair landing.

Check any rental businesses in your area, they might have one of those remote camera devices that has a small video screen on the end. Plumbers use them all the time to look down sewers, etc.....high tech, maybe expensive to rent, but might avoid the need to tear a hole in that wall.

Dugly :cool:

buletbob 08-26-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashvillebill (Post 151930)
I really appreciate all the replies to this question, but I'm realizing I didn't provide enough info. The water level is the same whether it's just my wife, or both of us and the jets are used in both instances. The tub is surrounded by tile and the floor is tile. The only access I have to see under the tub is through a small door on the end opposite where the water first appears. From there I can see the pipe for the overflow and the pump and 3 of the jets. No water appears on this end that I can see. I tried using a mirror, but still can't see the other end. I really don't want to have to open a hole in the wall at the end of the tub as it's visible at the top of a stair landing.

With that said then fill the tub with nobody in it. shut the water off when you start to notice water on the floor. then inspect the tub and pump lines at this level. you can buy one of those mechanics mirror's on a telescoping handle to reach the rear of the tub. I don't understand how the water level does not change when you enter the tub with your wife??. unless I reading your post wrong. BOB.

nashvillebill 08-26-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buletbob (Post 151975)
With that said then fill the tub with nobody in it. shut the water off when you start to notice water on the floor. then inspect the tub and pump lines at this level. you can buy one of those mechanics mirror's on a telescoping handle to reach the rear of the tub. I don't understand how the water level does not change when you enter the tub with your wife??. unless I reading your post wrong. BOB.

When my wife is in the tub by herself, she fills it up to the same level as when we both are in it. Granted, there's less water actually in the tub when I'm in it as I displace a lot more water, but the level of the water in relation to the top of the tub is the same. With no one in the tub, there will be no water on the floor- nor is there any water on the floor with just my wife in the tub.
I do have a telescoping mirror, but it's only about 16" long- not long enough to reach the other end of the tub. My access door is on the opposite side of the long end of the tub from where the water first appears on the floor.

nashvillebill 08-26-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YerDugliness (Post 151961)
Check any rental businesses in your area, they might have one of those remote camera devices that has a small video screen on the end. Plumbers use them all the time to look down sewers, etc.....high tech, maybe expensive to rent, but might avoid the need to tear a hole in that wall.

Dugly :cool:

I hadn't thought of that- I'll check into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bill

buletbob 08-26-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashvillebill (Post 152001)
When my wife is in the tub by herself, she fills it up to the same level as when we both are in it. Granted, there's less water actually in the tub when I'm in it as I displace a lot more water, but the level of the water in relation to the top of the tub is the same. With no one in the tub, there will be no water on the floor- nor is there any water on the floor with just my wife in the tub.
I do have a telescoping mirror, but it's only about 16" long- not long enough to reach the other end of the tub. My access door is on the opposite side of the long end of the tub from where the water first appears on the floor.

So you are saying that the water appears at the drain end of the tub??? and it does not leak when your not in the tub.when the water reaches the problem height. what kind of base is the tub set on??. And the tub is a drop in on a platform. check and see if there is any space under the tub, so as to not have the tub just resting on the platform. thus putting strain on the tub and distorting its shape. pressure on drain or pump lines. BOB


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.