Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Share |

Whirlpool Gas Water Heater Thermocouple Replacemnt

Hello, I need to replace the thermocouple. Looked easy enough but when I removed the manifold door the gasket fell apart and the top half was burned up. How important is the gasket. Could I use a hight temp rtv sealant like the red sealant to make a new gasket. Do you professionals normally know to keep a spare replacement gasket on hand when you replace a thermocouple?

SS396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

model number on the heater if possible the inspection cover should just pull up and out.. if the flame is rolling out might want to check the draftand flue connection going out.typical is this YOU TUBE

Last edited by biggles; 06-21-2012 at 04:19 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

Biggles, Thanks for the reply. model nbr is BFG1H5040T3NOV. Whirlpool with flame lock. That is why the gasket. The manifold door is held in place with a couple of screws and had this foam gasket seal. I wanted to get back in business so I used the 650 deg rtv sealant. (on one side so I could get it back off when the time comes.) The original foam gasket sure doesn't look to be high temp anyway. I ordered the correct gasket from Whirlpool but I don't know if I will even bother with it when it is delivered.
Coincidently you are spot on about the draft. A few days ago I found a dead bird in the water heater flue pipe. Thanks
SS396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #4

if that isn't an induced draft HWH style with a flue fan a quick test to verify the flue up and out is drafting is.....where it connects on top that space is the draft mix no heat should be rolling out of there.then striking a match the flame/smoke should draft up the flue thru that opening..
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.

i believe Whirlpool and most w/h manufactures require replacement of the pilot assembly it has everything cant remember what brand on there flame guard models there thermocouple has left hand threads you will need the conversion kit comes w/everything except the actual burner and orifice, and has the thermal cut off which connects to control valve thermocouple inlet ,check yours to make sure ok
wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.

i was just thinking your has what i call a black clip it's the part were the pilot tube and themocouple go through door if so your thermocouple may have a built in resistor you can very easy the thermcouple is thin were it connects to control valve then inside combustion chamber it gets fatter ii'm sorry i'm having a hard time explaining not the sharpest tool in shed if so u will need pilot assembly

wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote