Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #1

Share |

whirlpool/american water heater anode

where exactly on a whirlpool 50 Gal Whirlpool water heater, EE3Z50RD055V, is the anode? the pressure relief is on the side. there is the inlet and outlet fittings, and there are three plastic capped openings on the top of the heater. I have taken off all three capped openings and there is no visible anode top showing. when I gently probe the foam in the openings there is no indication of the top of the anode. where the heck is that thing?

div4scpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

div4scpro, welcome to the forum. Hopefully we can help you find it. According to your model number it's there.

Click on link below and zoom in on pic for close up and see if that looks like what you got. Look for a hex nut. Sometimes they sit in there deep, that's why you need a deep well 11/16in socket with big breaker bar. Impact wrench is your best bet, and some pb blaster. According to the pic, it looks like it's between the relief valve and dip tube on top. Hope this helps you to locate it.

click here for location of anode rod

I'm assuming you know the procedures on how to remove/replace it safely. Let us know if you need anymore help, advice or you still can't locate it. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 01-15-2014 at 10:37 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #3

the hole that the diagram indicates has foam to the surface. I have gently probed the foam 3 - 4 inches deep and find no indication of the head of the anode. There are two other capped openings on the top. I removed the rubber caps and probed those too, nothing. These openings are the only ones on the top of the heater except for the inlet and outlet ports. Any other ideas?

Andy
div4scpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

What about the recessed cap, that's not labeled, between the cold water inlet and the hot water outlet, towards the back. Is there a hex nut under that cap by chance? If not, Maybe try looking in your operators manual or give the manufatcurer a call. Should be there somewhere. Manufacturer phone number: 1-877-817-6750. Sorry I couldn't help you, maybe someone else knows where it is.

Last edited by jmon; 01-16-2014 at 08:24 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote