Where Should Sump Drain? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Where Should Sump Drain?

Reading another thread, I saw that the sump is not supposed to drain into the septic. Ours does.

Where is it supposed to go? I know it goes outside, and away from the house, but all the install articles I've seen this morning seem to talk about installing it in the basement without discussing where the water goes after that.

I am guessing it should go to a dry well or something. Where can I find specifications about what I need and where it should go?

The stupid thing is in the worst possible corner for this. Grrrr.

Advertisement

angelatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

Where Should Sump Drain?

I assume you are talking about a sump pump, not a sewer pump. Sump pumps should not drain into the septic system since it puts unnecessary load on the system. The sump should drain into the storm drainage system on the street, assuming that is allowed by the Town or City where you live. In some cases, the sump drains onto the street itself if there is no closed drainage system. Pumping into a drywell is self defeating, since the water runs from the drywell into the ground, and back to the pump eventually. After all, the sump pump is pumping out groundwater. If you have no street to pump to, find the lowest spot well away from your house and pump it there.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (09-25-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 01:37 AM   #3

Where Should Sump Drain?

Yes, I am talking about the sump pump. We don't have a storm drainage system, and I live on a dirt road. So, when you say find the lowest spot away from your house and pump it there....on the surface?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,048

Where Should Sump Drain?

It is customary to empty the sump water onto the ground surface but using an underground pipe or channel is also okay. What is important is having a destination that will never fill up and cause the sump pump outlet pipe to fill and back up.

A disadvantage of an underground pipe less than 3 feet deep is that it could freeze solid.

An underground pipe as the sump pump outlet must not be perforated so to allow the water to soak into the soil and make its way back to the house and back to the sump (pit).

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-24-2012 at 07:50 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
angelatc (09-25-2012), concretemasonry (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #5

Where Should Sump Drain?

My lot drains away from the house - the backyard is sloped downhill. I"m lucky in that respect, because I'm not too worried about getting it to drain away from the house.

The freezing part makes me wonder though, because it seems that pumping it above ground would also leave it susceptible to freezing.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

Where Should Sump Drain?

Draining below ground is always safest if you use rigid pvc and get a closely controlled slope to the pipe.

I have a downspout (tougher situation because of the cooler water temperature) that I drain below ground. It works well as long as you are lucky to have an early undisturbed snow cover. Since in our location, some years we are not lucky enough to have the snow cover, the snow insulation is not present is not available, so I go to plan "B" and divert to a gravity surface discharge and by-pass the buried portion.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
angelatc (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where Should Sump Drain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Draining below ground is always safest if you use rigid pvc and get a closely controlled slope to the pipe.

I have a downspout (tougher situation because of the cooler water temperature) that I drain below ground. It works well as long as you are lucky to have an early undisturbed snow cover. Since in our location, some years we are not lucky enough to have the snow cover, the snow insulation is not present is not available, so I go to plan "B" and divert to a gravity surface discharge and by-pass the buried portion.

Dick
My sump pump (with a check valve) pumps into a rigid pipe that is only slightly buried and with a slight slope across 50 feet and daylights into the ditch at the front of the house .

Running water will not freeze, not even on the coldest nights. So as long as the pipe has a slight slope it will be fine
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
angelatc (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,392

Where Should Sump Drain?

Make sure where you drain it on your land does not create a problem for your neighbor or the municipality.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
angelatc (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #9

Where Should Sump Drain?

Thankfully, draining it without bothering my neighbors is something I don't have to worry too much about. The neighboring back lot is all green space. and most of my back lot is uncleared woods all the way down to a stream about an acre away.

A house I rented in Illinois had a horrible sump pump drain setup. There was a big puddle / marsh in the back corner of the lot. I was always surprised that the neighbors didn't complain to the city about it. I now view that as my life lesson in how NOT to drain sump pump output.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #10

Where Should Sump Drain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
... A house I rented in Illinois had a horrible sump pump drain setup. There was a big puddle / marsh in the back corner of the lot. I was always surprised that the neighbors didn't complain to the city about it. I now view that as my life lesson in how NOT to drain sump pump output.
Not much they can do after complaining. The water has to go somewhere.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,392

Where Should Sump Drain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Not much they can do after complaining. The water has to go somewhere.
If by this you mean you can let a sump pump drain onto your neighbor and they have no recourse, you are very wrong.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where Should Sump Drain?

One would assume a builder would need pre approved plans as to where the sump would discharge
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #13

Where Should Sump Drain?

Our sump pvc pipe runs downhill along the south side of the house at ground level (not buried) to a dry bed that takes the downspout & sump water further out into the yard. Never had a problem with freezing.
Pianolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #14

Where Should Sump Drain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
If by this you mean you can let a sump pump drain onto your neighbor and they have no recourse, you are very wrong.
Didn't he say the puddle was in the corner of his own lot?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #15

Where Should Sump Drain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Didn't he say the puddle was in the corner of his own lot?
I'm a she, but rjniles is right. It actually puddled where 4 lots met, but "only" 3 of them had a standing water problem. And it was indeed a violation of the city code, but as a renter I didn't put too much thought into it.

Advertisement