Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #1

Share |
Question

where can pro-flex be run?

i am pretty sure the answer to this is yes but would just like to confirm:

can pro-flex be run in all the same places as black pipe, i.e. behind the wall? i have a need to run some pro-flex behind drywall where it would be really difficult to work with pipe, maybe 10 ft to reach my stove from the end of the black pipe, but it won't be accessible after i hang drywall.

i was just suspicions whether pro-flex might be one of those things, like unions, that due to a higher likelihood of leaks (is this even the case?) cannot go behind wall.

thanks

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

I've never heard of pro-flex. Can you describe this product to me? Thanks.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I've never heard of pro-flex. Can you describe this product to me? Thanks.
it is a yellow flexible hose/pipe that can be used instead of black pipe

http://www.woodstoves-fireplaces.com...FYFo4Aod0CshKQ
Old 07-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #4

[quote=amakarevic;960151]it is a yellow flexible hose/pipe that can be used instead of black pipe

http://www.woodstoves-fireplaces.com...FYFo4Aod0CshKQ[/quote here in pa its called gas tite
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #5

Pro-flex and Gastite are both forms of CSST pipe.

CSST can be installed in walls, but you need to put in a bunch of protection compared to black iron. For example you need striker plates on both sides of the wall to prevent against nails that extend 5" past anything that would prevent the movement of the CSST, like a stud. Please read over the installation manual ( http://www.tru-flex.com/HVAC/docs/Pro-Flex_install.pdf ), and then reread it. This is gas that you're dealing with, a screw up will burn down your house if you're lucky.

Also make sure to run the gas size calculations on your system. CSST has larger pressure losses due to friction, and thus can't handle as high a flow rate as the same size black iron pipe. So you may need to use a size larger with the CSST.

Additionally, I'm not sure if the manual points out one of the main flaws of CSST. A nearby lighting strike can cause an arc from CSST to nearby metal which will simultaneously cause a pin-prick hole in the CSST, and an ignition source. Thus CSST needs to be bonded to your houses' grounding system.

Last edited by a_lost_shadow; 07-08-2012 at 12:16 AM.
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a_lost_shadow For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (07-08-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #6

Thanks. Luckily, i have a grounding wire going into the main panel right by where the flex pipe will be.

As far as reduced flow, do you think about 8-10' of this pipe will not drastically impair the flow for a stove application?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #7

There are different sizing charts for CSST. Some code books have them (mine does) or that info is available from the manufacturer. When I first started running CSST from GasTite, they provided me with a book with all the info you need to run it. Most rules are the same as other gas pipe, but there are some additional rules specific to CSST. As for if 8-10' will be enough to run a stove, thats like asking how long is a string: You havent provided enough info. There is more to running gas pipe than just turning some wrenches.

Last edited by hvac benny; 07-08-2012 at 11:51 AM.
hvac benny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #8

i have a 3/4" gas pipe coming into the house and what it feeds are a hydronic boiler for radiators, water heater, dryer and a stove. the 3/4" ends with the dryer and from there i have some 1/2" until the stove stub outlet from which i plan to run CSST.

would this be enough info? so far, when all the 3 appliances run simultaneously, there is no problem with flow. heck, i also have a temporary water heater in the basement that i plan to get rid of and even with that the flow is fine. i will replace it with electric for the basement apartment. you could say that i'm planning to replace the basement gas water heater with a stove, for usage purposes.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #9

You're starting to get closer, first you're going to need to make up a diagram similar to the one below for your gas system. However, you'll need either nameplate Btu/hr or estimates of what you expect. The plumbing code has a list of rough estimates for various appliances. Once you've made the diagram, and made any adjustments for the number of fittings. Then you have enough information to start sizing your gas lines. Since it sounds like you're going to be downsizing at least one section of pipe, and upsizing another appliances (water heater to stove). It would be best to confirm the sizing of your entire system. It's not uncommon for builders to size systems on initial installations to exactly what's needed with no headroom.

For the full details on how to preform the gas calculation, you can look at 1216.0 of the California Plumbing Code ( http://www.iapmo.org/2010%20Californ...apter%2012.pdf ). I suspect that this will be similar to the gas codes that your working under, if you're in the US.
Attached Thumbnails
where can pro-flex be run?-gas-layout-example.jpg  
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #10

thanks but it's pretty much all 3/4" pipe downsizing only at the end where there is only one appliance left (stove).

i am not sure how many BTUs is my meter, maybe i can find out by calling my utility co.

i will try to find out the BTUs for all the appliances. i think the boiler is 105K or 120K, not sure
Old 07-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic
i have a 3/4" gas pipe coming into the house and what it feeds are a hydronic boiler for radiators, water heater, dryer and a stove. the 3/4" ends with the dryer and from there i have some 1/2" until the stove stub outlet from which i plan to run CSST.

would this be enough info? so far, when all the 3 appliances run simultaneously, there is no problem with flow. heck, i also have a temporary water heater in the basement that i plan to get rid of and even with that the flow is fine. i will replace it with electric for the basement apartment. you could say that i'm planning to replace the basement gas water heater with a stove, for usage purposes.
How do you know that there is no problem with flow? I made a ton of $ fixing/replacing appliances that "ran fine for ten years" that were over-fired/under-fired/installed incorrectly in reality. All gas piping must be installed and sized properly, and all gas appliances must be properly installed AND COMMISSIONED.
hvac benny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #12

a_lost_shadow, do you know if this grounding connection has to be done inside an electrical box or (because it is just a ground wire), it can be done outside a box with just wire nuts, if they are tucked away?

the problem is, i do not have enough slack with the nearby running ground wire, i can maybe spare a couple of inches, otherwise i would have to rerun the wire from there to the mail panel.

thanks

Tags
proflex