Where To Buy A Short Length Of 4" Cast Iron Waste Pipe - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2015, 08:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 180

where to buy a short length of 4" cast iron waste pipe

Local plumbing supply houses want to sell 4" cast iron waste pipe in 10-foot lengths minimum. I need only about eight inches of it to connect the closet elbow to the toilet flange.

I've been scouring CL, and checking the well-known auction site, but haven't found any yet.

Are there any online plumbing supply houses that will cut to order for a fee, and ship?

P.S. No room between the closet-elbow hub and floor joists to insert a rubber donut and transition to PVC. Must be cast iron.

Advertisement

diy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,021

A search indicates that Lowes has 5' sections for $68.

Could you not cut the pipe below the hub and convert to PVC? Use a rubber compression coupler. The PVC and the cast have the same diameter so I assume working room is your problem. I do I would do a lot to avoid playing with oakum and liquid lead.

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
A search indicates that Lowes has 5' sections for $68.

Could you not cut the pipe below the hub and convert to PVC? Use a rubber compression coupler. The PVC and the cast have the same diameter so I assume working room is your problem. I do I would do a lot to avoid playing with oakum and liquid lead.
Thanks, Colby, but the Lowes website says "Sorry, this is not available in your area."

And below the hub it's a curved elbow, so there's no straight length of pipe where a coupler could be attached, and it's stacked fittings all the way down to the main vent; no straight section of pipe anywhere. Finding a short length of cast iron is *the* simplest way to solve the problem.

I'm not shying away from oakum and lead. I've watched several videos and it doesn't seem any harder than soldering if you have the right tools (and take care to melt it outdoors standing upwind of the fumes).

I have good thick welding gloves and welding jacket, face protection, and a cast iron melting pot and long-handled ladle, a caulking iron; and lead ingots are on the way. All I need now is the pipe.

Last edited by diy888; 03-08-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,766

if you were by me, i would give you the piece. but like colby said, i would try to replace with pvc.

got any pics ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy888 View Post
Thanks, Colby, but the Lowes website says "Sorry, this is not available in your area."

And below the hub it's a curved elbow, so there's no straight length of pipe where a coupler could be attached, and it's stacked fittings all the way down to the main vent; no straight section of pipe anywhere. Finding a short length of cast iron is *the* simplest way to solve the problem.

I'm not shying away from oakum and lead. I've watched several videos and it doesn't seem any harder than soldering if you have the right tools (and take care to melt it outdoors standing upwind of the fumes).

I have good thick welding gloves and welding jacket, face protection, and a cast iron melting pot and long-handled ladle, a caulking iron; and lead ingots are on the way. All I need now is the pipe.
True, it's not much harder than soldering, but is much more dangerous. Molten lead runs like water and is VERY hot!
In your list, you did not mention a running rope- you'll need it for a horizontal line.
You also didn't list a packing iron and if you're up against a joist I don't see how you can use a 12" long iron

You should check with the plumbing shops for scraps. Or keep an eye out for commercial construction sites- snag a piece from the scrap pile
Old 03-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #6

Call a scrap yard in your area; plumbers take loads of the stuff there everyday as they rip it out. Our scrap yard will not resell to the public but yours might.

Edit: cross posted not copied from above.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,680

I'm having trouble envisioning the described situation where it would be easier to use CI than PVC due to space. This is just an 8" vertical riser from closet bend hub to toilet flange right? If you can't get a donut and piece of PVC in there you sure won't be able to properly pack it with oakum, pour it with lead and tool the lead joint. All that takes more access space than putting in a donut.

If you are set on leading it in then use a PVC to CI hub that you lead in just like the CI. http://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-P1...FWgV7AodQGwABA

Last edited by jogr; 03-08-2015 at 03:17 PM.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:45 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,176

post a picture of what your doing.....
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #9

The attached picture shows the 4" cast iron hub, which is about 3/16" above the floor joists.

Does the rubber donut stick up above the top of the hub? Or does it sit perfectly flush with the top of the hub?

Also, I read on the Fernco website that cast iron came in many slightly different sizes, and that it's not a one-size-fits-all situation.

The tailpiece will probably be 6-7 inches. I haven't measured exactly yet. Plywood layers, 1/4" isolation membrane, thinset, tile.
Attached Thumbnails
where to buy a short length of 4" cast iron waste pipe-hub.jpg  

Last edited by diy888; 03-09-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #10

All the ones I've seen add about 3/16" to the height. I've had them be super tight and hard to get the pipe in, easy as it gets and one where the hub was just too big for it to get a solid grip.

That one I had to do the hard way and not by the book or code. I still used PVC, oakum and some form of cold lead. It looked a lot like your photo and it has not leaked in 15 years.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy888 View Post
The attached picture shows the 4" cast iron hub, which is about 3/16" above the floor joists.
Would PVC or ABS and epoxy work for your situation? Or maybe PVC or ABS and a lot of silicone from a tube in a caulking gun?

Maybe ring the lower portion with dough type epoxy to maintain even clearance all around the ABS pipe and then fill the top portion using silicone to insure a waterproof seal.

I don't see how oakum and lead could seal better than epoxy or silicone. But I'm not a plumber so that is just a layman's observation.

HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 03-10-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 123

XH vs standard cast iron dimensions:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ca...ns-d_1751.html
ccbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:50 AM   #13

craigslist finally came through, and I've been able to get a length of CI waste pipe.

Advertisement