Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #1

Share |
Question

What's wrong with this picture???

We have a problem with our kitchen sink not draining properly. If we have the drain opening in the left side of the sink stopped up to soak some dishes, the right side (disposer side) drains slow. I suspected the added vent under the sink, so I removed it to see if that was the problem and nothing changed. As you can see in the pic, the waste plumbing was re-done at some point prior to our ownership, and they bypassed all the original work, including the roof vent, so they added one below the sink. Are the two sides of the sink connected properly? Is my p-trap too low? I would really like to move the p-trap up to gain more storage space under the sink anyway, so I'm not opposed to re-configuring things, especially if it will correct the drainage problem.
Attached Thumbnails
What's wrong with this picture???-sink.jpg  

David911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #2

the first thing I would do is check and clean the inside of all the piping for sludge buildup from the disposal

plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

p-trap looks too low to me. It should be less than 2 ft from the sink connection to the (trap inlet i think, could be the weir, but this is close enough for your situation.)

I'd reconfigure so the sanitary tee is 16" from floor level. I'd also put that AAV as high as possible under the sink (leave room to unthread it to change it out when it fails later on in life). One better would be to vent it through the roof.

I can't say this is your problem for sure, but those are the most obvious things to me.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #4

If you both took off the AAV valve and uncovered the left sink drain, then used the right sink drain with a fairly hefty flow for a long time, does water overflow anywhere?

That would give away the location of a blockage.

Otherwise I can't see how uncovering the left drain speeds up the right drain.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
If you both took off the AAV valve and uncovered the left sink drain, then used the right sink drain with a fairly hefty flow for a long time, does water overflow anywhere?

That would give away the location of a blockage.

Otherwise I can't see how uncovering the left drain speeds up the right drain.
It doesn't have any problem draining from either side under normal conditions, even when running the water for a while, such as doing dishes. I tried removing the AAV last night to see if that was affecting the problem and nothing changed. I can't understand why covering the left drain would slow down the right either. I didn't know if the p-trap being so low would create a problem, or because they didn't use a sanitary T might be part of it.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #6

Assuming there isn't any blockage, I think the problem is going to be the location of the p-trap. When you start with both sinks full of water, there is going to be a lot of trapped air in the pipes between the sink drain and the p-trap. When you then open the drain on the right leaving the left one closed, that air doesn't have anywhere to go. There's too much air for the water to force it down the drain, and there's too much water and too much of a convoluted path that the air can't escape either. So what you are left with is the water flowing around the air buble with the air basically acting like a restriction.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #7

your trap and aav are both too low. right now one bowl is acting as the vent for the other. the aav needs to be above the connection for sink, if not the flow will hold the diaphram closed.
just a guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to just a guy For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (03-19-2010)
Old 03-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
Chicago, IL

For starters, IRC-2707.1 requires directional fittings for continuous wastes from a disposal (i.e. wyes, combo’s or tees with with baffles).

And if you happen to be in Illinois, IPC 890.710 kicks in: "Food Waste Disposal Units a) Installation. Food waste disposal units shall be trapped separately from any other fixture or compartment, shall be connected directly to the sanitary drainage system, and shall be properly vented. Dishwashers shall not discharge into food waste disposal units..."
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 03-18-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
DIY staff

If you are re-piping the drain --consider putting in two P-traps--one for the disposer and one for the sink.
In my area plumbing code requires separate traps--I think it's a good practice.

As others have said --that cheater vent must be move up as high as possible.

The work that can be seen is not so good--what does the hook up below the floor look like?
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
Licensed Master Plumber

the P trap is to low. The discharge from the disposer needs to have the 90 degree fitting that comes with it installed at the disposer and then drop into the waste.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #11
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

we install the pipe straight out side of disposal all the time ,lines up perfectly when baffled-tee is properly installed.
definately move the san-tee up closer to 16" and put trailer vent as high as possible under the sink
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
For starters, IRC-2707.1 requires directional fittings for continuous wastes from a disposal (i.e. wyes, combo’s or tees with with baffles).

And if you happen to be in Illinois, IPC 890.710 kicks in: "Food Waste Disposal Units a) Installation. Food waste disposal units shall be trapped separately from any other fixture or compartment, shall be connected directly to the sanitary drainage system, and shall be properly vented. Dishwashers shall not discharge into food waste disposal units..."
I'm in Central Virginia, so I don't know what the particular requirements are, but I would think sanitary T's would be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
If you are re-piping the drain --consider putting in two P-traps--one for the disposer and one for the sink.
In my area plumbing code requires separate traps--I think it's a good practice.

As others have said --that cheater vent must be move up as high as possible.

The work that can be seen is not so good--what does the hook up below the floor look like?
I may go ahead and add a separate p-trap anyway. I have been under the house (belly crawl ), but I didn't get a good look at the sink plumbing. Judging from what I can see under the sink , I don't expect under the house to be any better Sloppy work to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMaster View Post
the P trap is to low. The discharge from the disposer needs to have the 90 degree fitting that comes with it installed at the disposer and then drop into the waste.
We bought the house 1 1/2 years ago and what you see is what we got. I know exactly what you're talking about, and I suppose they're available in the plumbing section of my local big box store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
we install the pipe straight out side of disposal all the time ,lines up perfectly when baffled-tee is properly installed.
definately move the san-tee up closer to 16" and put trailer vent as high as possible under the sink
I've seen and installed them both ways. I may just use separate p-traps just to be safe.

The Following User Says Thank You to David911 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-21-2010)