What's A Good Product To Repair Chip In Steel Tub To Prevent Rust? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

What's a good product to repair chip in steel tub to prevent rust?

Hi, there's a small chip in my porcelain enameled steel tub. It is a cheap tub. The small chip is right around the drain and I don't want rust forming there as that is the worst spot to find rust. This chip is very fresh, and the second I chipped my tub, I did not let any water get near it. I have heard people with good success repairing chips in cheap steel tubs with some steel epoxy putty sold at various hardware stores in the US. One is named "fast steel." My lowes or Home depot doesn't carry "fast steel" when I looked at their store online. I don't care about cosmetics, as this will be covered by the drain when the drain is installed, I just want something that will seal the area to prevent rust. I have some JB weld at home, but don't know if this is okay to use for this purpose. Does anyone know of a product at Home Depot or Lowes that sells a good epoxy putty to repair the chip in my tub?

Advertisement

amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,588

some hardware stores ,hd, lowes. stock tub repair kits ,,,,

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
amodoko (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 664

What you have is a chip in the gel coat that seals the tub. Any marine supply sells it. It can be color matched if you buy the kit.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
amodoko (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

Didn't know those tubs had Gel-Coat but anyway you can buy a repair kit on any street corner. You don't need JB Weld, you don't need all those names of fancy products and sophisticated repair techniques.

The repair kit includes a bottle of liquid like fingernail polish and a brush. That's it, that's the kit. In fact you could use fingernail polish but that would take all of the mystery out of the whole project and it would cost a lot less.

Don't think those tubs do have Gel-Coat.
amodoko (12-26-2011), ben's plumbing (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

hahaha, budcline, that is awesome! Thanks guys for all the replies, since I don't live with a woman I don't have finger nail polish, but otherwise I would have tried that
amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote