Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 433
Share |
Default

What's the definition of horizontal in DWV?


Kitchen sink venting seems to be a perennial challenge to DIY folks.

I need to run a 2" vent up an exterior 2x4 wall and a 2" drain down the gap between between the block foundation and the 2x4 wall in the basement below.

The trouble is the first floor exterior wall cavity (where the vent will run up to the attic) is directly over the top of the block wall.

Which of the following should I do?:

1) place the sanitary tee in the wall and use an 1/8 bend coming out of the drainage portion of the tee to bring the drain away from the wall

2) put the tee inside the kitchen cabinet, giving me a straight shot down the basement wall, and use a 1/8 bend out of the top of the tee to jog the vent line back to the wall?

I'm hoping that the 45 fitting will not violate the requirement to go 6" over the flood rim before running the vent horizontally. I prefer bends in the vent to bends in the drain, especially since I'm installing a disposal.


Last edited by benjamincall; 06-29-2010 at 06:42 PM.
benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,692
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

What's the definition of horizontal in DWV?


Horizontal is > 45* Vertical = 45* or greater.

Can't you offset inside the joist bay below to get around the block wall?

Hard to picture exactly what you're talking about, but I think I understand what you mean.

Edit : Are you sure a 2" vent is required for kitchen? Around here it only needs to be 1-1/2, which would save a lot of structural support in your wall if you have to drill horizontally through studs for the vent.

__________________
Journeyman Plumber

Last edited by Alan; 06-29-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan For This Useful Post:
benjamincall (07-01-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 433
Default

What's the definition of horizontal in DWV?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Horizontal is > 45* Vertical = 45* or greater.

Can't you offset inside the joist bay below to get around the block wall?

Hard to picture exactly what you're talking about, but I think I understand what you mean.

Edit : Are you sure a 2" vent is required for kitchen? Around here it only needs to be 1-1/2, which would save a lot of structural support in your wall if you have to drill horizontally through studs for the vent.
At the heart of the issue is the fact that I don't have a straight path through the sill plate and down the wall. The offset would actually need to take place in the cabinet (a rim joist obstructs the center of the sill plate) shooting the drain through the floor and down the foundation wall.

I would rather introduce as few bends as possible in the drain. Any reason why offsetting the drain would be preferable to offsetting the vent?

I'll likely pull in the washing machine and laundry tub, so I'll probably have to go with a 2" vent.

On a different note, Crescent City is in a very nice part of California.
benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,692
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

What's the definition of horizontal in DWV?


Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamincall View Post
At the heart of the issue is the fact that I don't have a straight path through the sill plate and down the wall. The offset would actually need to take place in the cabinet (a rim joist obstructs the center of the sill plate) shooting the drain through the floor and down the foundation wall.

I would rather introduce as few bends as possible in the drain. Any reason why offsetting the drain would be preferable to offsetting the vent?

I'll likely pull in the washing machine and laundry tub, so I'll probably have to go with a 2" vent.

On a different note, Crescent City is in a very nice part of California.
Seems a little odd for the rim joist to be on the CENTER of the sill plate....

The problem with putting the drain inside the cabinet is sometimes if you have a sink with odd bowl sizes, depths, and drain locations is having a hard time getting it to hook up later. If you have a standard sink it will probably be OK, but you always have a lot more space with that crap out of the way.

You could always cut the rim joist out of the way in the bay you need to use, or just cut a 4" notch where your pipe will come down.

I love this area.
__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Licensed Master Plumber
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 476
Default

What's the definition of horizontal in DWV?


Drop the drain in either the left or right corner of the cabinet, it will be fine
__________________
Always ask to see your contractors license!
NHMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 433
Default

What's the definition of horizontal in DWV?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Seems a little odd for the rim joist to be on the CENTER of the sill plate....

The problem with putting the drain inside the cabinet is sometimes if you have a sink with odd bowl sizes, depths, and drain locations is having a hard time getting it to hook up later. If you have a standard sink it will probably be OK, but you always have a lot more space with that crap out of the way.

You could always cut the rim joist out of the way in the bay you need to use, or just cut a 4" notch where your pipe will come down.

I love this area.
You're right, the joist obstructs only about 1-1/4" inches of the 2.5" hole I drilled through the bottom plate.

I'll might move back to California if the "assault weapons" law and a few others get rescinded. Oh yeah, I'd have to come into a lot of money, too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMaster View Post
Drop the drain in either the left or right corner of the cabinet, it will be fine
I'll probably do that if I can get the 45 angled portion of the vent run to clear the top of the sink base cabinet.
benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 433
Default

What's the definition of horizontal in DWV?


Update: The NSPC is in effect statewide in NJ, so I can use an S-trap type configuration, as long as I size up the trap arm, and as long as I keep the trap within the required developed distance for my trap size (5 ft. for a 1-1/2" trap). So, my 1-1/2" trap will connect to a 2" trap arm and turn down through the floor, connecting with a vent within five feet.

The NSPC is in effect only in NJ and MD, so this information will be useful to the five percent of people in the US who live in these states and to people who live in rural jurisdictions that do not conduct inspections.

benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Near horizontal to sewer - macerator waste system? vsheetz Plumbing 3 09-29-2009 10:49 AM
horizontal or vertical plywood sheathing. Clutchcargo Building & Construction 6 07-12-2009 01:51 PM
Horizontal ground loop questions with geothermal smcmurrey HVAC 1 05-14-2008 10:06 PM
Suggestions to long horizontal run problem... slakker Plumbing 8 08-03-2007 12:45 AM
piece of horizontal wood through studs? yummy mummy Remodeling 13 11-24-2006 07:33 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.