Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2011, 04:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

What is wrong with my swimming pool system?

I purchased a house about a year ago with a pool that was destroyed. After re doing the plaster and finding the new pump for it, i finally brought it back to life. Well sort of, you see i have always had problems with it but my main concern is the pool vacuum.

The bottom of the pool is pretty dirty and i want to learn to clean it, whenever i connect my pool pump to the line the pump sounds like it struggles. Is there a way i can check, a online class i can take on how to maintain a pool?

Pool specs: Oblong, 22000 gallons, pebble, 2hp motor (i think)

Kenward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

If you've never owned a pool,,,You may need to call a pool company in your area to check it out & go over everything with you

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,022

Make sure the vacuum line has all the air out of it before you hook it up, Hold the line over the discharge until it sinks and is full of water then hook it up. Air might be your problem.
COLDIRON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
whenever i connect my pool pump to the line the pump sounds like it struggles
I dont understand this, do you mean the pump struggles when you connect the vac. hose/head. If that's the case it's not uncommon to hear the pump workin hard when you vac if you have it valved down to one intake(skimmer or main drain) Try to crack open another valve a little or a lot until it sounds right.

If the pump sounds funny all the time check the supply voltage and make sure the motor is wired properly.

Quote:
Make sure the vacuum line has all the air out of it before you hook it up, Hold the line over the discharge until it sinks and is full of water then hook it up.
Great advice but sometimes return pressure isnt enough to purge all the air. Try this next time you vac 1) lay the hose out on the deck coil free and with the swivel end near the shallow end of the pool for a few min. 2) attach your vac. head to the pole then the hose and stick it in the shallow end and let it roll to the wall and stop. 3) Make sure the hose is under water all the way from the deck to vac head, if it isnt pull on the hose until it is then continue to shove the hose into the water while working your way to your skimmer. It may save you a few min. when you vac
STL B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL B. View Post
I dont understand this, do you mean the pump struggles when you connect the vac. hose/head. If that's the case it's not uncommon to hear the pump workin hard when you vac if you have it valved down to one intake(skimmer or main drain) Try to crack open another valve a little or a lot until it sounds right.

If the pump sounds funny all the time check the supply voltage and make sure the motor is wired properly.

Great advice but sometimes return pressure isnt enough to purge all the air. Try this next time you vac 1) lay the hose out on the deck coil free and with the swivel end near the shallow end of the pool for a few min. 2) attach your vac. head to the pole then the hose and stick it in the shallow end and let it roll to the wall and stop. 3) Make sure the hose is under water all the way from the deck to vac head, if it isnt pull on the hose until it is then continue to shove the hose into the water while working your way to your skimmer. It may save you a few min. when you vac
"Yeah it was great advice"
COLDIRON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

I was'nt knocking your post but a lot of pools dont have the presure to push the air out of the vac hose.
STL B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Hi Kenward,

It is a good idea to have a pool company come and check out your set up. You can figure out what is initially going on with your system. If you want to find online information on pool maintenance, there are a ton of webistes, such as the link above, with step-by-step tutorials or videos on youtube. I would also recommend www.havuz.org. They have a lot of information on everything swimming pool related.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
PaulSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,002

I'd visit:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/index.html
People there have been very helpful to me and others.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 516

You guys do realize this post is over a year old and the original poster never came back after the original post
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,002

doh! did it again.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pool, pool pump