What Is This?? And What Does It Do?? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 14

What is this?? and What does it do??

We recently purchased a 50+ year old cabin. This is on the outside. I can't seem to turn it on or see that it turns anything else on. Does anyone know what it is or what it might do? I don't know why so much pipe would need to be exposed on the outside of the house. Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this??  and What does it do??-faucet-thing.jpg  


lubbockgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:14 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter
chrisn's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 8,014
Rewards Points: 612

looks like a gas line


chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
DIY staff

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 25,728
Rewards Points: 7,174

You will need to see if it is still connected inside of the house----that might have been the hot and cold lines for an out door shower----I've seen that on beach houses----
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 34,587
Rewards Points: 14,306

Where's the water heater in the house? If there is not one there now I guess that's where the old water heater was, old washer hook up?
All guesses since where not there to see it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
TarheelTerp (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Master Plumber
Javiles's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,604
Rewards Points: 996

If that's the main water coming in, maybe an old filter system or water softener that was removed..

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,393
Rewards Points: 350

It looks like some sort of galvanized gas or water pipe with a flex hose connecting it. Can't really tell from picture if that's a gate valve on the pipe or not.

Can you do a couple close ups of the valves that are pictured?


jmon is online now   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1