Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #1

Share |
Question

what to use for gas underground

I want to use the cheapest material but safe to run natural gas from house to garage. Plastic hose, copper or black pipe

radiohummer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #2

Pipe will eventually rust, so plastic is the better choise, but not just any plastic. It has to be the one type used for gas lines.

Gas companies get fussy about people messing with their lines, so check local rules before you run this. While many localities allow homeowners to do their own plumbing and electrical work, gas usually requires licensed people.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB (10-02-2010), NHMaster (09-04-2010)
Old 09-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #3

Cast pipe is what I have used in years past. To be SAFE, Call your gas/Propane supplier and ask them.

Last edited by mark942; 09-04-2010 at 07:11 AM. Reason: did not read underground.
mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
Licensed Master Plumber

1st off, you cant use regular csst underground but more importantly. If you don't know what pipe you can use than you don't know enough about gas and gas piping to be doing the project. It'd be like a surgeon asking which clamp to use to hold your intestines out of the way. Be safe, hire a professional. You will sleep better.
MACPLUMB (10-02-2010)
Old 09-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #5

NH, If you were to read my comment I said in years past. With that being said, I did refer OP to call their supplier.

Last edited by mark942; 09-04-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
Licensed Master Plumber

What you said was CSST; which has never been approved for burial (unless properly sleeved or you use csst with a rated burial protection) ) and now you edited it to say cast which I assume you mean steel pipe which is also not approved. The mere fact that you don't know the correct terminology is telling in itself. You are attempting to give advice to someone when you yourself are not competent to do so.

Here's my thing and I hope Dave or some other moderator will take this to heart. Gas is dangerous stuff. Most if not all states require a license to install and service it. Advice from anybody on a diy forum, either a professional or another diy'er is a bad idea because you are assuming a level of competence by the end user that is not there. I personally would like to see all gas related threads removed instantly and not allowed here or any other diy forum.
MACPLUMB (10-02-2010)
Old 09-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #7

Black pipe is made for gas lines, will not rust and lasts for years. Donít go the cheap route, buy good pipe. Natural gas is corrosive and black pipe does not corrode. You can also use a copper line. Depending on the use, I would use black pipe for underground or basement connections. Copper I would use if I were running a line to a gas log fireplace.

Running a line I would put two shutoffs, in the event of an emergency or replacement of equipment. For instance I ran a black pipe line in the basement through the wall, under the deck to our door grill on the deck.

Running off the existing gas piping, I shut the gas off at the source, ran the line and just at the basement wall prior to going through the other side, I placed a shut off. I continued the line to the grill, and put an outside shutoff just before the grill connection.

If I need a grill replacement, I can just shut it off at the outside connection. If there is a leak I can shut the gas off at the inside connection without shutting the entire supply coming into the home, or shut it off before going on vacation so no one can grill while you are not there.

When installing gas lines, I wouldn't go cheap. I like doing a project one time and not have to worry about problems down the road.

If you are a DIY without much experience, I would recommend having it inspected once it is completed. If you ever sell you home, most areas now require a CO to sell, and will ask you to fix or correct problems before you can sign the paper.
Mr Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
Licensed Master Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit View Post
Black pipe is made for gas lines, will not rust and lasts for years. Donít go the cheap route, buy good pipe. Natural gas is corrosive and black pipe does not corrode. You can also use a copper line. Depending on the use, I would use black pipe for underground or basement connections. Copper I would use if I were running a line to a gas log fireplace.

You need to delete this entire paragraph because 99% of it is wrong, dangerous and does not meet code. do you have a gas license?

If you are a DIY without much experience, I would recommend having it inspected once it is completed. If you ever sell you home, most areas now require a CO to sell, and will ask you to fix or correct problems before you can sign the paper.
If I were a diy without much experience I would call a professional to do the job before you blow the damn house off the foundation. Having it inspected is a good idea though because if you use the materials recommended above it will fail.
DidIDoThat (02-27-2013), MACPLUMB (10-02-2010)
Old 09-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #9

Depending on your local Codes, there may be a few materials you can use. Black iron/steel pipe can be used, in most areas, for above ground piping. You cannot have threaded joints underground, they must be welded. Most areas do not allow copper inside the home for gas. Check your local Plumbing Code office. Also contact your Home Insurer. Unauthorized work can cancel your policy.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMaster View Post
What you said was CSST;

NH, I said cast. I didnt say any thing but cast. My edit was on the fact I didnt read underground and made comment about copper, and copper is not used for under ground. Maybe you misread my post as I surely did pertaining to the original post. Gas is as you said, very dangerous, and should be treated with the utmost respect.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mark942 For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB (10-02-2010), NHMaster (09-04-2010)
Old 09-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #11

thanks for all your input
radiohummer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #12

Interesting thread. Just about every pipe that has been mentioned can be used somewhere under ground, except cast and csst I have a problem with.

The only way to resolve the question is to call the local jurisdition and see what they say, thats the final work.
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to braindead For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB (10-02-2010)
Old 09-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #13

Quote:
If I were a diy without much experience I would call a professional to do the job before you blow the damn house off the foundation. Having it inspected is a good idea though because if you use the materials recommended above it will fail.
Black steel was the norm for gas piping for about 100 years. For the last fifty or so (prior to the use of plastic) the underground piping was bitumen coated and wrapped with a bitumen coated paper tape and another coat of bitumen. This was replaced by heavy vinyl tape about thirty years ago, which I used 22 years ago when I did mine.
New Jersey Natural Gas (NJNG) at that time recommended black pipe that was properly tar coated and wrapped, and specifically recommended against galvanized.
Depending where you are located the codes are different as to what type of piping is used.
Some area recommend plastic, others don't.
For natural gas, the pipe of choice and code, in most cases is schedule 40 black steel pipe, that has been used for about 100 years.
The underground black pipe of today has a factory-applied plastic coating to stop corrosion.
Don't fall out of the saddle on that high horse of yours.
Mr Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #14
Licensed Master Plumber

Yea, OK Chief, now go back and read the thread. Then get yourself a copy of the National Fuel Gas Code along with a copy of NFPA 54 and do some reading. then when you have educated yourself further, you can get back to us with your new found knowledge. Untill then, I'll stay right where I am.

On another tack though. All you handyman / expert gas technicians that feel the need to hasten a man and his families demise by giving advice that is in most cases wrong and dangerous, thanks for your input.

Gas is dangerous stuff. Have any doubts just google or youtube "gas explosions" and have yourself a good look at what happens when folks with a little bit of knowledge " I tighten the crap out of the pipes " decide to do a little gas piping or gas service work.
MACPLUMB (10-02-2010)
Old 09-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Yea, OK Chief, now go back and read the thread. Then get yourself a copy of the National Fuel Gas Code along with a copy of NFPA 54 and do some reading. then when you have educated yourself further, you can get back to us with your new found knowledge. Untill then, I'll stay right where I am.

On another tack though. All you handyman / expert gas technicians that feel the need to hasten a man and his families demise by giving advice that is in most cases wrong and dangerous, thanks for your input.

Gas is dangerous stuff. Have any doubts just google or youtube "gas explosions" and have yourself a good look at what happens when folks with a little bit of knowledge " I tighten the crap out of the pipes " decide to do a little gas piping or gas service work.

That license you have is for plumbing and gas work not yelling at people. Take a chill pill and stop yelling at people because in the end they will do as they wish. I understand your frustration.

COLDIRON is online now   Reply With Quote