Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #1

Share |

What tool to use to tighten this nut????

Hi everyone. I recently replaced my kitchen faucet. The only issue I have is I'm not sure what to use to tighten this lock nut, it's rather flat and large.(See pic) its about 1.5" wide. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Monika2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #2

Looks like it takes a spanner wrench. The wrench looks like a handle with a "C" at the end and a small, squared off piece protruding from it that fits into the notches in the nut. A Basin Wrench may also work on it.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #3

Thanks a bunches...i tried to use a basin wrench but the damn thing (nut) is too thin. I'll try the spanner wrench. Thanks again! : )
Old 12-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #4

Never seen a plumbing fitting like this, my bicycle from years ago had a nut like this on the pedal bearing!

I still have the wrench, unfortunately its at my summer cottage or I would post a pic.
Basically its a hook on the end of a handle!
It has a 'dog' to fit into the notch. The dog is on the end of the hook. The hook follows the circumference of the nut.

Somebody mentioned a 'spanner'! In the UK a spanner is considered to be a wrench that has parallel surfaces that engage the flats of the nut. Thus, spanning the nut!
In North America, its not a common expression!

Google claims this wrench to be a 'spanner'! I keep learning something new every day!

Last edited by Wildie; 12-01-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #5

If you can find needle nose pliers that open wide enough for the tips to go into the notches on the ring, with both hands and a screwdriver used as a lever, you might get it loose.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #6

Thanks all. Looking at the pic I found online, its not exactly like those two, but very similar. Here's a link to how it should be put together (the faucet part-base), but of course getting my hands under the damn sink and finding the right tool to do it is challening plus there's no room to maneuver the tools! (My husband gave up after he wacked his head on the counter taking the old faucet apart-and me being stubborn, refused to shell out money to have a professional do it) so here I am trying to find something that works! Thanks again for the suggestions (I hate going to those home improvement places cause they look at me like "Yeah right-you change a faucet-Ha" and the hubby doesnt want to admit defeat!
Anyway here's the link..it's on step 6...
http://www.pricepfister.com/www/Imag...31349-0200.pdf
Old 12-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #7

Sometimes you can make a tool out of wood and common nails and such that works just long enough to do the job.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika2024 View Post
Thanks all. Looking at the pic I found online, its not exactly like those two, but very similar. Here's a link to how it should be put together (the faucet part-base), but of course getting my hands under the damn sink and finding the right tool to do it is challening plus there's no room to maneuver the tools! (My husband gave up after he wacked his head on the counter taking the old faucet apart-and me being stubborn, refused to shell out money to have a professional do it) so here I am trying to find something that works! Thanks again for the suggestions (I hate going to those home improvement places cause they look at me like "Yeah right-you change a faucet-Ha" and the hubby doesnt want to admit defeat!
Anyway here's the link..it's on step 6...
http://www.pricepfister.com/www/Imag...31349-0200.pdf
A standard faucet wrench should do this job for you! They are not expensive! This wrench has a steel bar with a sliding handle at one end and a floppy jaw at the other!
The jaw is turned one way to tighten and flipped the other way to loosen!
Most hardware stores will carry these!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #9

Monika2024:

I opened that PDF file linked to in your last post, and the lock nut (part 6B) appears to have 6 sides in the drawing, with two notches on opposite sides of the lock nut.

If that locknut is hexagonal, then it is meant to be turned with a basin wrench as suggested in previous posts.

However, if that drawing is misleading, then you can find a tool that will tighten this locknut at any hotel in your area. "Faucet wrenches", or more specifically "Beer tap coupling nut wrenches" are used to tighten the beer tap to the draught dispensing system in bars. Every barkeeper will have one. Take a look at the tool with the red plastic handle on this web page:

http://www.homebrewmart.com/homebrew...cet-wrench.htm

The tool is curved to fit around the lock nut. At the end of that curved section is a single "tooth" that engages a hole in the coupling nut that holds the beer tap in place.

Alternatively, just ask the owner of any bar or hotel in your area who repairs beer dispensing systems in your area, pop into that place and the guy there will probably just give you an old faucet wrench free, or sell you one for $4 (full retail price). If it's got "Budweiser" or "Coors" printed on it, he probably got it free.

I make my own beer, and I have a magic fridge that dispenses cool home made beer 24/7. That's how I know about beer taps.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 12-01-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:05 AM   #10

Thanks all will try. I think it is hexagonal. The thing I had an issue with is that it is very thin, only slightly thicker than .125" , so getting the basin wrench was impossible. I will try these other tools you all mentioned! Thanks again!