DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   What are these pipes for in the basement. (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/what-these-pipes-basement-115457/)

jkpyke 08-27-2011 08:33 PM

What are these pipes for in the basement.
 
1 Attachment(s)
We have an unfinished basement and we were wondering if anyone would know or could tell us what the 3 pipes are for going into the concrete.

oh'mike 08-27-2011 08:43 PM

Typical bathroom rough in.

However I don't see the vent for the toilet---should be another 2" pipe near the 3" pipe.

Code05 08-27-2011 08:43 PM

I am not a plumber, but I have a pretty good idea.

Top left is a clean out going to a main sewer section. It has a drain or a vent
on the left going up.

Small one below is a future section drain to a sink or shower.

Big one on the right is a future connection to a toilet.

Code05 08-27-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 716328)
Typical bathroom rough in.

However I don't see the vent for the toilet---should be another 2" pipe near the 3" pipe.

Wahoo, I was right.

Canucker 08-27-2011 09:18 PM

Is it possible the pipe coming off the wye is the venting and the drain continues under the wall?

Butch. 08-27-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkpyke
We have an unfinished basement and we were wondering if anyone would know or could tell us what the 3 pipes are for going into the concrete.

Well, these are for drainage.

oh'mike 08-29-2011 06:05 AM

Run water into the pipes---see what's going on----Look for the toilet vent----

Any plumber worth his salt can check that with a sewer camera and find the vent or the lack of one.

md2lgyk 08-29-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 716328)
Typical bathroom rough in.

However I don't see the vent for the toilet---should be another 2" pipe near the 3" pipe.

Not necessarily. The applicable code where I live (IRC 2003) handles venting quite differently from the UPC. Among other things, it does not require vents for toilets. Vents provide an air path to prevent water from being sucked out of the traps. Well, a toilet is essentially a large trap you WANT to ber sucked out when you flush.

jkpyke 02-19-2012 07:26 PM

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. So if this is typical rough in, and if we were looking to have a sink, toilet, and tube/shower, could we put a sink in front of the toilet with the sink drain running down to the toilet drain, and then put a shower on the left side of the picture in front of the cleanout?

TheEplumber 02-19-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkpyke (Post 857734)
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. So if this is typical rough in, and if we were looking to have a sink, toilet, and tube/shower, could we put a sink in front of the toilet with the sink drain running down to the toilet drain, and then put a shower on the left side of the picture in front of the cleanout?

You can put any fixtures you want there. Looks like you have a 4" building drain servicing that area. You just need to make sure it's plumbed correctly.
Sounds like you plan to remove some concrete?

jaydevries 02-19-2012 07:53 PM

ok big pipe gets cut off flush then toilet flange then toilet , other pipe could be sink or tub or shower need to take off cap poor water in pipe shine flashlight done pipe and do you see standing water and what size is the inside of pipe , and like someone else asked the pipe going up the wall to the upstairs is there something that drains into it and what is the outside size of it or you might just look on pipe at righting it will say the size

jkpyke 02-19-2012 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a quick and dirty picture that I drew up of the top view of the drains. Hopefully this helps better explain of what I have. I guess my biggest question is, would I have to break concrete? I would like to put a bathroom downstairs and will eventually but it will all depend money. Seams like breaking up the concrete, if I have to, will be a big expense. Hopefully the pic. turns out, if not I will repost again.

jaydevries 02-19-2012 09:15 PM

need to remove 2 inch cap and pour water in to it if it has standing water in it. it has a trap for a shower

jaydevries 02-19-2012 09:23 PM

e plumber or someone else with long term permitable plumbing background correct me if i am wrong but the basement bath since on a different floor can not be vented through the 3 inch drain

and if that is true then start looking around between floor joist for a pipe just hanging there to be used for vent i know irc states if roughing for future use bath a vent most also be roughed in

but that is only if done to code and inspected

TheEplumber 02-19-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkpyke (Post 857843)
Here is a quick and dirty picture that I drew up of the top view of the drains. Hopefully this helps better explain of what I have. I guess my biggest question is, would I have to break concrete? I would like to put a bathroom downstairs and will eventually but it will all depend money. Seams like breaking up the concrete, if I have to, will be a big expense. Hopefully the pic. turns out, if not I will repost again.

Are these existing pipes? I can't read all the text


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved