Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 211
Rewards Points: 150
Default

What size ejector pump do I need?


I don't know how deep my basin is but it's laid in a concrete basin below grade and has a 20 1/2" lid. It services a full bath and laundry. The pump in there is from 1993 and I'm thinking it's best to replace it when I take ownership of the house. I haven't pulled it out yet.

I would like to get a Zoeller but unsure which model. There are many to chose from. Advice?

edit - i actually posted this last month but didn't get a response and forgot about my post. So this is a bump.


Last edited by Daugela; 05-14-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: bump
Daugela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,762
Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

What size ejector pump do I need?


What is the head pressure that the pump has to overcome to achieve gravity?

__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 211
Rewards Points: 150
Default

What size ejector pump do I need?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
What is the head pressure that the pump has to overcome to achieve gravity?
Without being there to measure, I'm thinking about 10 feet. This would include the pump being 2 feet deep in the basin and 8 foot ceilings....Actually if you add an additional foot above the ceiling for the waste line, maybe 11 feet?

I like the Zoeller 267, but I'm not following the sizing chart on the Zoeller website. Money is not an option here. Best quality for my needs.
Daugela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,762
Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

What size ejector pump do I need?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daugela View Post
Without being there to measure, I'm thinking about 10 feet. This would include the pump being 2 feet deep in the basin and 8 foot ceilings....Actually if you add an additional foot above the ceiling for the waste line, maybe 11 feet?

I like the Zoeller 267, but I'm not following the sizing chart on the Zoeller website. Money is not an option here. Best quality for my needs.
There isn't really a good/better/best in your situation. Zoeller is a solid pump manufacturer. I also like liberty's pumps.

At any rate, when you're reading the chart, basically on the bottom it's showing you flow rate in gallons per minute, and on the left side is your elevation that you have to overcome. If you look again, you'll see that as the elevation increases, the gallons per minute decrease. In your situation you really have no need for something fancy or expensive.


I do however prefer a pump that has a pigtail style float rather than the one attached to the side of the pump with a rod.
__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 211
Rewards Points: 150
Default

What size ejector pump do I need?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
There isn't really a good/better/best in your situation. Zoeller is a solid pump manufacturer. I also like liberty's pumps.

At any rate, when you're reading the chart, basically on the bottom it's showing you flow rate in gallons per minute, and on the left side is your elevation that you have to overcome. If you look again, you'll see that as the elevation increases, the gallons per minute decrease. In your situation you really have no need for something fancy or expensive.


I do however prefer a pump that has a pigtail style float rather than the one attached to the side of the pump with a rod.
I'm not sure which chart you're looking at. On the Zoeller website, the only chart by the pumps talks about the tank diameter vs. gpm. My diameter is 20 1/2 which isn't listed here. Are you looking somewhere else?
Daugela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,309
Rewards Points: 1,162
Default

What size ejector pump do I need?


use a 1/2 HP zoeller shark grinder pump.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,762
Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

What size ejector pump do I need?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daugela View Post
I'm not sure which chart you're looking at. On the Zoeller website, the only chart by the pumps talks about the tank diameter vs. gpm. My diameter is 20 1/2 which isn't listed here. Are you looking somewhere else?
When you click on a particular pump "family" look at the performance curve link on the left of that screen.


It should look like this.

https://app.qleapahead.com/rtp/tools/77567-63.gif
__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 211
Rewards Points: 150
Default

What size ejector pump do I need?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
When you click on a particular pump "family" look at the performance curve link on the left of that screen.


It should look like this.

https://app.qleapahead.com/rtp/tools/77567-63.gif
Ok but what am I looking for here?

All these pumps can carry water up 10 feet at a certain GPM, but which is correct for my application?
Daugela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,762
Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

What size ejector pump do I need?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daugela View Post
Ok but what am I looking for here?

All these pumps can carry water up 10 feet at a certain GPM, but which is correct for my application?
10 feet is nothing for any sewage ejector. Like I said, you don't really need anything fancy for your application. Zoeller makes nice pumps, and anything you get from them is going to be solid.


You said one bath, right? Your max input if your shower is letting loose, the sink is on, and the toilet is running full bore is somewhere around 10 GPM.

__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sink Size Specs - Advice needed donvaz Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 1 08-12-2012 01:39 PM
wire size for 1575 inverter 15' from battery bluemoonshine Electrical 8 12-28-2011 09:49 AM
Rule of Thumb for Trowel size and Spacer size please.. K.M.G Flooring 7 02-08-2010 08:13 PM
Determining Boot/Register Size Earnie HVAC 15 12-31-2009 05:00 PM
Building a patio cover...span and size of lumber Q's jongordo8 Building & Construction 1 08-30-2009 12:08 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.