DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   What size ejector pump do I need? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/what-size-ejector-pump-do-i-need-179601/)

Daugela 05-14-2013 10:47 PM

What size ejector pump do I need?
 
I don't know how deep my basin is but it's laid in a concrete basin below grade and has a 20 1/2" lid. It services a full bath and laundry. The pump in there is from 1993 and I'm thinking it's best to replace it when I take ownership of the house. I haven't pulled it out yet.

I would like to get a Zoeller but unsure which model. There are many to chose from. Advice?

edit - i actually posted this last month but didn't get a response and forgot about my post. So this is a bump.

Alan 05-14-2013 10:58 PM

What is the head pressure that the pump has to overcome to achieve gravity?

Daugela 05-14-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 1179662)
What is the head pressure that the pump has to overcome to achieve gravity?

Without being there to measure, I'm thinking about 10 feet. This would include the pump being 2 feet deep in the basin and 8 foot ceilings....Actually if you add an additional foot above the ceiling for the waste line, maybe 11 feet?

I like the Zoeller 267, but I'm not following the sizing chart on the Zoeller website. Money is not an option here. Best quality for my needs.

Alan 05-16-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daugela (Post 1179667)
Without being there to measure, I'm thinking about 10 feet. This would include the pump being 2 feet deep in the basin and 8 foot ceilings....Actually if you add an additional foot above the ceiling for the waste line, maybe 11 feet?

I like the Zoeller 267, but I'm not following the sizing chart on the Zoeller website. Money is not an option here. Best quality for my needs.

There isn't really a good/better/best in your situation. Zoeller is a solid pump manufacturer. I also like liberty's pumps.

At any rate, when you're reading the chart, basically on the bottom it's showing you flow rate in gallons per minute, and on the left side is your elevation that you have to overcome. If you look again, you'll see that as the elevation increases, the gallons per minute decrease. In your situation you really have no need for something fancy or expensive.


I do however prefer a pump that has a pigtail style float rather than the one attached to the side of the pump with a rod.

Daugela 05-16-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 1180480)
There isn't really a good/better/best in your situation. Zoeller is a solid pump manufacturer. I also like liberty's pumps.

At any rate, when you're reading the chart, basically on the bottom it's showing you flow rate in gallons per minute, and on the left side is your elevation that you have to overcome. If you look again, you'll see that as the elevation increases, the gallons per minute decrease. In your situation you really have no need for something fancy or expensive.


I do however prefer a pump that has a pigtail style float rather than the one attached to the side of the pump with a rod.

I'm not sure which chart you're looking at. On the Zoeller website, the only chart by the pumps talks about the tank diameter vs. gpm. My diameter is 20 1/2 which isn't listed here. Are you looking somewhere else?

Ghostmaker 05-16-2013 06:12 PM

use a 1/2 HP zoeller shark grinder pump.

Alan 05-16-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daugela (Post 1180484)
I'm not sure which chart you're looking at. On the Zoeller website, the only chart by the pumps talks about the tank diameter vs. gpm. My diameter is 20 1/2 which isn't listed here. Are you looking somewhere else?

When you click on a particular pump "family" look at the performance curve link on the left of that screen.


It should look like this.

https://app.qleapahead.com/rtp/tools/77567-63.gif

Daugela 05-16-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 1180916)
When you click on a particular pump "family" look at the performance curve link on the left of that screen.


It should look like this.

https://app.qleapahead.com/rtp/tools/77567-63.gif

Ok but what am I looking for here?

All these pumps can carry water up 10 feet at a certain GPM, but which is correct for my application?

Alan 05-16-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daugela (Post 1180932)
Ok but what am I looking for here?

All these pumps can carry water up 10 feet at a certain GPM, but which is correct for my application?

10 feet is nothing for any sewage ejector. Like I said, you don't really need anything fancy for your application. Zoeller makes nice pumps, and anything you get from them is going to be solid.


You said one bath, right? Your max input if your shower is letting loose, the sink is on, and the toilet is running full bore is somewhere around 10 GPM.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved