Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #1

Share |

What to put under water softener?

Hi!

I'm going to be installing a water softener tomorrow and wondered if anybody had any input on putting something under the water softener. It's going to be going into the basement on the concrete floor.

I've seen washer drain pans and ones for water heaters, but haven't found any for a water softener. Should I be concerned? Just put it on top of the concrete? Put pressure treated wood under it?

Thanks!
wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #2

Drain pans are used where a leak or spill would cause damage. Water softeners do not require anything under them when placed on a concrete floor unless a leak or spill would cause damage.
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #3

thanks for the response. Since it's a basement and nothing is under or around it of importance, I'm just going to put it directly on the concrete. I was just thinking of what others do.

thanks!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz561 View Post
thanks for the response. Since it's a basement and nothing is under or around it of importance, I'm just going to put it directly on the concrete. I was just thinking of what others do.

thanks!

It is not needed but if you do not mind a recommendation... Look for an alarm for a water heater that will turn off the water if a Leak does happen. Basically it will be an electronic cwitch on your supply line and a sensor on the floor. If the tank were to burst it will turn off the water so it will only be the water in the softner flooding your floor instead of a hose constantly flowing till you notice it.. Here is a link to a sample

http://www.smarthome.com/7115H2C/Wat...-FS3-4C/p.aspx
Docwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #5

thanks for the recommendation. I like stuff like this because it only costs a few bucks and can save thousands and hours of frustration.