Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What is this plumbing part?

I have a part that is leaking, and I need to replace it, but I have no idea what it is or does. It is right inside he main shutoff, and it makes a hissing sound when water goes through it. Below is a picture. If someone could give me a quick description that would be great!

RandyKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

That's a pressure regulator. It bumps the city water pressure down to a tolerable and acceptible level for use in your dwelling.

Why on earth is there what appears to be an electrical cord wrapped around your water service?????????

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

ok so then a few more questions, Ive been having an issue with the water pressure in my house where I shut the water main off, and the pressure doubles for about a week then goes back to normal. Its happened a few times. Lately, there have been times where I turn a faucet on, and we have no pressure for about a minute, then all of the sudden I hear the hiss, and the water pressure comes back to normal.

Does it sound like this pressure valve is the culprit? If so, are these things easy to replace, or should I leave it to a pro. I have a little plumbing experience, but i'm definitely no pro.

Its heat tape so the pipes dont freeze in the winter, it gets pretty cold in the basement.

Last edited by RandyKlein; 09-16-2009 at 01:40 PM.
RandyKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #4

Sounds like the pressure regulator's shot.

It is an intermediate plumbing job. Unless you luck out and can find the same pressure regulator you may need to re-do some piping. Might be better to call a pro for that. The water will of course need to be shut off at the street.

Assuming that this regulator is on your side of the water meter?
Old 09-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
The water will of course need to be shut off at the street.
is that a certainty? my regulator is just down-stream from the main shut-off valve in my garage. at least i think it is. i need to go look now....
djrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #6
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Rewards Points: 250

If you have a valve between the street and the pressure reducing valve then it can be shut off there. I agree....the pressure reducing valve needs to be replaced.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrussell View Post
is that a certainty? my regulator is just down-stream from the main shut-off valve in my garage. at least i think it is. i need to go look now....
Not necessarily. There could be a shutoff valve upstream.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

That looks like an older model of a Sloan Pressure Reducer Valve with built-in screen, but it's not a Sloan. In the picture, just below the main body of the PRV, there is a hex shaped cap on the right hand side. With the water supply turned off and the residual pressure drained, take the cap off and see if there is a stainless steel mesh screen in there, which may be almost stopped up. This would give you intermediate problems with pressure also. Forget the heat tape, the way it is just thrown in there and wrapped around the pipe it can't be working. It should be laid along the pipe for the pipe to absorb any heat from it. IF checking/cleaning the screen doesn't do any good, then an new PRV is on order. Good Luck, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote