DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What to plug sink, toilet lines with, No Shut off valve for house?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  NateHanson 
#1 ·
I want to turn the water off to the house but there is no water valve for the house. There is one at the street and I turn it off when I need to turn the water off. However, I still need my spigot to have water so I can clean etc, but I need to remove the toilet, sink and faucet etc. and none of them have shut offs on them. (house is older)

I am going to redo all of the plumbing but for now I want to still have water but be able to remove the toilet, sink etc. How can I plug or cap each inlet line so I can turn the water on and remove these pieces. Thanks.

#2 ·
You'll have to shut the water off at least for a while.

The answer to your question depends on what type of plumbing system your house has. Copper pipe? Galvanized?

Either way, you can get caps to go on the ends. If it is copper, you'll have to cut the pipe at each fixture and solder a pipe cap on the cut end. If you don't know how to do this let us know and we can explain. It is fairly easy if you're handy, but it is best to see it demonstrated.

If your pipes are threaded galvanized pipe, you'll have to find a place to unthread two fittings to expose a male end that you can screw a cap onto. You'll need two pipe wrenches, appropriate galvanized caps, and teflon tape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.