Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #1

Share |

What is this pipe and why does it go up?

I am replacing our vanity and vanity top in our bathroom. We are going from two basins to one. I was planning on moving the the drain pipe to the center so I could just stream line everything.

Anyway, I was expecting a "y" shape where the two sinks met and drained down to the basement. It's a "+" shape... Why is there a pipe that goes up? I'm guessing that it must go up to the roof?

Also, I was planning on making the the sink trap exit right in the center. It looks like the pipe is slightly off center (center should be where the dirty line is on the drywall, I think?). any ideas of how I should plumb in the trap exit?

Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #2

cut drywall out alittle more ..cut about 6" below cross and about 4" above cross...put cuppling on bottm install 1 1/2 tee about 18" to center off floor then hook from top of tee to cuppling on top pipe...don't worry about being exact center where its at is fine ....change water lines to new center your good to go... oh sorry yes top pipe is vent

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 12-07-2011 at 08:40 PM.
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #3

Yes, the pipe going up is a vent pipe.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lightfoot For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #4

That's the vent that indead goes up to the roof. Without a vent the drain water would create a suction and pull the water out of the traps.
What's there is called a cross. You going to have to cut the pipe just below the cross, and just above it. Remove it with the two old drain pipes and replace with a sanitary Tee. The vent pipe should be able to be pulled down enough to slip it inside the new tee, If the port on the tee comes out even with the sheetrock that's a good thing, it it's to far back inside the wall your going to have to add a short piece of abs pipe. Then an adapter gets glued out that will except 1-1/4' drain pipe.
PS Not sure why you cut all those holes in the sheetrock. The old pipes needed to be cut off and the sheetrock could then be removed in one piece. When you cut the sheetrock mark it with a level and cut it at 4' from the bottom of the piece. Those supply lines are a mess they should have just stuck out of the wall enough to install a shut off valve, not stick out and make a turn. Use flex stainless steel supply lines when you put it back together.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That's the vent that indead goes up to the roof. Without a vent the drain water would create a suction and pull the water out of the traps.
What's there is called a cross. You going to have to cut the pipe just below the cross, and just above it. Remove it with the two old drain pipes and replace with a sanitary Tee. The vent pipe should be able to be pulled down enough to slip it inside the new tee, If the port on the tee comes out even with the sheetrock that's a good thing, it it's to far back inside the wall your going to have to add a short piece of abs pipe. Then an adapter gets glued out that will except 1-1/4' drain pipe.
PS Not sure why you cut all those holes in the sheetrock. The old pipes needed to be cut off and the sheetrock could then be removed in one piece. When you cut the sheetrock mark it with a level and cut it at 4' from the bottom of the piece. Those supply lines are a mess they should have just stuck out of the wall enough to install a shut off valve, not stick out and make a turn. Use flex stainless steel supply lines when you put it back together.

I'm not so sure that the "cross" is in the center where it will coincide with the sink drain. So the Tee might not be where I need it. Those dirt lines are where the 2 30" orignal vanities butted together. Would it be safe to guess that would be the center of a 60"?

I dont have the vanity yet, it should be here in a few days.

I'll put the vanity top on sine saw horses and try to see how it lines up. I might need to run a U turn from one of the sides and cap the other.

I cut the sheet rock to see what was going on. It will be behind the vanity so I dont think I will care too much. If I need to patch it I will cut it level, but below the vanity height so I can hide everything.

Dont ask about the supply lines. Everything was hard soldered without shutoffs and was original from 1974. What a nightmare just to change the faucets. Nails and glue and solder everywhere! cheap fake wood and green paint

IF I need to I will cut the supplies back to the basement and just run some pex back up. I can just cap off the 2 supplies I wont be using, right?
Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Tool View Post
I'm not so sure that the "cross" is in the center where it will coincide with the sink drain. So the Tee might not be where I need it. Those dirt lines are where the 2 30" orignal vanities butted together. Would it be safe to guess that would be the center of a 60"?

I dont have the vanity yet, it should be here in a few days.

I'll put the vanity top on sine saw horses and try to see how it lines up. I might need to run a U turn from one of the sides and cap the other.

I cut the sheet rock to see what was going on. It will be behind the vanity so I dont think I will care too much. If I need to patch it I will cut it level, but below the vanity height so I can hide everything.

Dont ask about the supply lines. Everything was hard soldered without shutoffs and was original from 1974. What a nightmare just to change the faucets. Nails and glue and solder everywhere! cheap fake wood and green paint

IF I need to I will cut the supplies back to the basement and just run some pex back up. I can just cap off the 2 supplies I wont be using, right?
yes you got it....
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #7

Quote:
You could, but I wouldn't leave the old pipes concealed in the walls. If you're going to go to the trouble of running new pipe upstairs then do yourself a favour and cut them right out at their source. No potential for hidden leaks that way.

And when you run the new lines be sure to add the 1/4 shut offs. Much better than the old style threaded valve ones.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #8

It is a 2" ABS vent so you have better flow "LIKE YOUR FINGER OVER A STRAW THEN RELEASE FINGER TRICK"I would cut all that out and put a (2" abs coupling) tie the coupling in and get a 2" abs wye and attach you're p-trap to it.

Things REQUIRED
1 can of abs glue*
1 2" abs coupling*
1 2" abs wye*
1 small stick of new 2" abs (recommended)
P-trap*

plumbing isn't always pretty but it's going to be hidden by the dry wall.

Last edited by plumbing; 12-08-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Required
plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote