DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   What is this pipe? (

BabsHoney 01-04-2013 10:46 AM

What is this pipe?
2 Attachment(s)
Second question for the day! Yay! :-/

Anyway, we have this pipe... in our bedroom...
In the pictures on the opposite of the wall is our shower, but this pipe doesn't line up with any of that plumbing. To the left is the kitchen sink but all of the plumbing is under the sink, none of it is in the wall.

This pipe makes it's 90 degree turn high enough from the floor that it stuck out above the floor that was here before. I would like to see if there is a way to fix this problem. We're going to put down a new wood floor and I really don't want a pipe sticking up through it!

So, advice? Opinions? Laughter?

Oh yeah, it's hard to tell in the photo, but yes, there is aluminum foil bunched up and "wrapped" around this joint.

And... we're pretty sure this used to be an exterior wall if that means anything.

TheEplumber 01-04-2013 10:54 AM

199 Attachment(s)
Question for you- do you have a basement? It looks like a vent from a fixture below and it was offset around the foundation or a beam

joecaption 01-04-2013 10:54 AM

Are those two pipes connected?
The one running straight up could be a vent line, should be running all the way up through the roof.
Any of those old steel drain and or supplys need to be removed and replaced with PVC for the drains and copper, CPVC or Pex for the supplys.
Steel will fail everytime at some point.
Drains for the sinks need to be run into the walls not just a hole in the floor to make it legal.

BabsHoney 01-04-2013 10:59 AM

We have a dirt crawlspace. This pipe comes ups from the crawl space and then appears to go straight up and out through the roof.

The kitchen and bath plumbing will all be redone, but I wasn't expecting to deal with plumbing in the bedroom.

Man... I'm gonna have to go in the crawlspace. Blech.

jagans 01-04-2013 12:10 PM

If it goes through the roof it is a plumbing vent. How about some more info?

Type House, Year Built, etc etc.

If you are re-plumbing your home you should be able to re do the vents and get rid of that pipe altogether.

Dirt Crawl Space??? Re-Plumb could be tough.

BabsHoney 01-04-2013 12:13 PM

Hrm... type of house?
Poor man's shack that has been piece-mealed together. :)
At least one part of it was built in 1937.

It's only 743 square feet.

BabsHoney 01-04-2013 12:21 PM

Well I called the plumber my family uses.

(I really don't want to go in the crawl space.)

He said it may be for gas??
Anyway, I sent him pictures of it but he can't come look till next Friday.

TheEplumber 01-04-2013 12:23 PM

199 Attachment(s)
It's not gas.
Pretty sure it vents a nearby fixture(toilet) or maybe even an abandoned fixture

BabsHoney 01-04-2013 12:28 PM

I didn't think it was anything gas related, but I also wasn't doing an awesome job describing it. Hence the pictures. :)

fasteddie3 01-04-2013 12:32 PM

If you need to move it, move it over to the wall in the left. It's just a vent. I'm guessing you had a cabinet there or something before. It's common to run it like that if there is a beam or something you cant go through. move it over if possible and connect it back with the plumbing that goes through the roof or go straight up where you move it to.Hope that helps

joecaption 01-04-2013 12:34 PM

If it runs up and out the roof it's a vent.
No way it's for gas.
Depending on how old this house is, some really old houses had no need for vents because there was no plumbing.
Once inside plumbing came into play no one want to bust out the walls to run the vents the right wal so that did the next best thing.
Some were even run outside of the house. I love it when I see the lines ending right under a soffit vent or a window.

BabsHoney 01-04-2013 12:37 PM

From what we can tell the house wasn't built with any indoor plumbing.

I'm feeling optimistic about being able to move it though, thanks so much everybody!

And as soon as I know more I'll update.

Alan 01-04-2013 07:04 PM

If it isn't serving any purpose there's a chance to eliminate it and a roof penetration, which of course means getting a roofer to come patch over the hole.

Your plumber will guide you well. :) :yes:

BabsHoney 01-04-2013 07:09 PM

The roof is getting redone this spring as well


cdaniels 01-04-2013 07:17 PM

plumbing vent would be my guess

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1