Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #1

Share |

What is this part?

First post. Recently my wife noticed the ground outside our house pretty wet. We had also noticed our water bill had gone up substantially. So I started to dig down where the ground was the wettest and found a valve box with a inline valve and some other sort of check valve, or some other kind of item in-line. whatever this is, has a couple pin holes in it. I am posting a picture because I'm wondering what it is. The repair is rather straight forward, I just don't know what I'm looking for as a replacement part. Any help is appreciated. Oh, by the way, this is right in front of my house just before the slab.

crankycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #2

What is this part?

No picture attached.
Sure sounds like the main line coming in from the street.
Is it city water?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #3

What is this part?

Sorry about that, here is a picture. This is my main line after the meter coming into my house (just before the slab. I think it may be a pressure regulator...but not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this part?-photo.jpg  
Old 11-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #4

What is this part?

If it's city water you may want to give them a call and let them take care of it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #5

What is this part?

It's my understanding that if it's before my meter, the city will take care of it, if it's after the meter, I'm responsible. And it's between the meter and my house.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #6

What is this part?

Not a clear picture on my phone but I'm guessing its a pressure regulator. Clean it real good to find the make and model name.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
Old 11-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #7

What is this part?

Yeah, my iphone didn't take a wonderful picture. The nut on top had a tag on on it, but it was rusted up and just fell off. I couldn't make out any of the numbers. I haven't checked to see if there are any numbers stamped on the housing. I'll do that in the morn. I'm pretty sure it's a pressure regulator too. How are those sized...just by pipe size and then you adjust the screw on top like a needle valve?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #8

What is this part?

They're sized by pipe size. Most have unions on at least one side- sometimes both. Take it out and take it to a good home center to match it up. They come in different configurations. Try to find the exact match to make replacement easier. They are " preset" from the factory but the screw is for adjustment

Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #9

What is this part?

So pipe size is my main consideration. Yeah, my house was built 26 years ago, but I have been here 15...and never changed it, so would imagine that exact part is dated....but have found numerous online with the same pipe size.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #10

What is this part?

Oh and I should have mentioned that it is soldered on one side and has a union on the other.....
Old 11-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #11

What is this part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankycowboy
Oh and I should have mentioned that it is soldered on one side and has a union on the other.....
Surprised to hear this but it may help you select new one to fit your space. Sounds like you can break the union free then can you need to figure the best approach for the soldered end.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #12

What is this part?

Double check the copper connection for male iron pipe threads at the valve or the pressure valve

Old 11-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #13

What is this part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Surprised to hear this but it may help you select new one to fit your space. Sounds like you can break the union free then can you need to figure the best approach for the soldered end.

Thanks "E",

Yeah I have the tools to de-solder and re-solder and should be able to use the same union and "leg" that is there. Your suggestion regarding pipe threads is a good one as I believe the pipe coming in was PVC and then adapted to a pipe 6" nipple into the regulator...and then soldered on the back side into a "needle" valve (excuse my definitions as I don't know all the proper terms).
Old 11-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #14

What is this part?

I wish I was at my PC mad had more time to help but I think your off to a good start.
I don't know how we'll unseating will be- any water in the prv will cause problems. May be better off cutting the pipe between valves and rebuilding it with new pipe.
I'm off to a hockey game but ill check in tommarow

Old 11-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #15

What is this part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I wish I was at my PC mad had more time to help but I think your off to a good start.
I don't know how we'll unseating will be- any water in the prv will cause problems. May be better off cutting the pipe between valves and rebuilding it with new pipe.
I'm off to a hockey game but ill check in tommarow

hey e plumber ..ther is no stinking hockey on strike how you rate.... enjoy we'll help him the rest of the way..ben sr

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote