What Needs Done To Put A Half-bathroom In This Basement? (photos Included) - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What needs done to put a half-bathroom in this basement? (photos included)

Beginning the process of finishing our basement. We didn't build this house, but I think that the builder at least put some rough plumbing into the unfinished basement.

The area where I believe we'd have to put the half bathroom has what I believe is a vent stack and a drain of some sort.

These pictures show the vent, the drain(?) and a larger drain or waste stack a few feet away.

Is this roughed-in plumbing for a half-bath or is there demo and more substantially more plumbing needed?

I will hire a professional to do the actual work, but need to know if this is where I should locate the half-bath for planning purposes.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
What needs done to put a half-bathroom in this basement? (photos included)-plumbing-1.jpg   What needs done to put a half-bathroom in this basement? (photos included)-plumbing-2.jpg   What needs done to put a half-bathroom in this basement? (photos included)-plumbing-3.jpg  

Advertisement

Rstub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

I can't tell much from those pipes. Bring in your plumber and see what he has to say

Advertisement

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

I think some demo will be involved !
rudolph58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

It is hard to tell what is going on in the first pic. Is this a stack under other fixtures? Is it 3"? If so, you could tie new fixtures into it that would need to be vented elsewhere. I would figure out exactly what feeds that stack before doing anything with it though. If you already have 3 bathrooms feeding only that stack, it may be maxed out. If you tie into it, you will need to add another clean-out.
The second shows what looks to be a 3" pipe in the ground with a AAV-vented 2" pipe. The 3" is likely for a toilet. It is hard to tell if the 2" is a vent for it only or if it is a 2" stack that you could add a sink to. The fact that it has an AAV tells you there is no trap underneath, but doesn't tell you if it acts as a vent to the 3" line (connected via sanitary T at greater than 45 degrees to act as a vent) or if acts as an additional line (connected via wye). Since they are on the same floor, it may not matter and you could use it as a wet vent, but might have to check local codes.
gbwillner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement , finishing basement , plumbing , remodel