Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2006, 10:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

what kind of water softener should i buy??

we have a 6 year old house that we purchased 4 months ago. we have hard water and have a lot of calcium deposits on everything.

we are only planning on staying there for 5-7 years. we don't want to spend a ton of $$$. can we buy one of those @ lowes and still work?

we have a manabloc sytstem, so it should be pretty easy to install,
will a $250-500 stem from lowes work?

dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:51 AM   #2

anyone?

Old 11-07-2006, 07:51 AM   #3
Journeyman Plumber

I don't really know anything about water softners, all I can say is read the specs real good.
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
registered

Rewards Points: 4

You buy a water softner by how hard your water is. CAll you water company ask them how hard your water is. Once you know this then going shopping for water softner. I don't know anything about watersoftner either but that is what my plumber told me. He said depending on how hard the water is will dictate what what softner to buy. He said water company will know how hard the water is. Hopefully your not on a well if so then a professional like culligan man would test the hardness before installation to make sure is the correct system.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to iGotNoTime

Regarding professionals I had a similar issue a couple weeks ago. I have a well, so there was nobody to call for pH levels or testing. I could have taken a 5oz. sample to the county and they could have tested for me for like $5 or so, but that would not answer my novice questions.

I called a water conditioning company, they sent two men to test my water and ask some questions about our water use i.e. quantities. The next day they came with a system and all the starter salt I needed. Sixtyfive dollar install fee, and now I lease a water softener for less than $20 per month and the water tastes awesome. Bypassing the softener and it makes you nearly gag. It tastes like water was stored inside an old rusted steel bucket chilled for 3 weeks then put into a glass. I have iron in my water.

I don't know how to help you or give any suggestions outside of 'Just let the pros handle it'.
iGotNoTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:07 PM   #6

thanks, we have city water so i will call em to see. i would rather save $$ and install the unit and own it.
thanks for the info
Old 12-26-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
The Water Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallison View Post
we have a 6 year old house that we purchased 4 months ago. we have hard water and have a lot of calcium deposits on everything.

we are only planning on staying there for 5-7 years. we don't want to spend a ton of $$$. can we buy one of those @ lowes and still work?

we have a manabloc sytstem, so it should be pretty easy to install,
will a $250-500 stem from lowes work?
Hello dallison,

I've worked in water filtration for along time and I can tell you most common problems with "New housing" would be your same problem "calcium and magnesium". Depending in the area you live in your waters hardness level can vary. Being where I reside in California, the average hardness range is anywhere from 10 to 15. You can purchase hardness test kits to test your waters hardness (calcium and magnesium). There are also many qualified companys that will test your water for free, including the company I work with.

As for "Lowes and Home Depot" brands. I've serviced and installed many of them, and they do work, but my advice is to invest in a water softener that will last over time. Lowes and Homedepot brands tend to not last as long as the leading brands these days. In most cases they tend to lose suction with the brine cycle (the draw of salt/potassium) for the ionization of the resin media. Leading up for the Repair Guy to come out.

Leading up to what water softener should I get and how much will it cost. Try to stay away from the "sales people" trying to sell you a water softener. Only because when you buy it from them your dealing with large fees, leading up to the water softener being up in price ranges of $5000 +. I would recommend trying to either buying one direct online, or a dealer by your location. Even our company sells them at warehouse prices so im sure you wont have a problem buying direct, edging that annoying "sales person" out of your home. Now in my time being in the field my pro opinion in an ideal water softener would have to be a Fleck 7000 Control valve with a 48,000 grain media tank. Again it depends on the size of your home and family to determine the size of media tank, 48,000 being the most popular (filtering up to 5 adults in a medium to larger household.) And the glory about the Fleck 7000 system is its a High Flow system that not alot of other softeners offer.

Hope I answered your question, any further questions feel free to msg me.
filtrationworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #8

wow, that is a lot of great info that will help me.
i still havent chosen a systen yet, i have checked with the water co on hardness on their website.

there is a plumbing/heating supply co that is right next to my work that said that they might be able to sell me a unit.

they only sell to plumbers so i know this is the same stuff plumbers install, and my price is about the same or just a little more than lowes/sears. thanks for the great info, this is most def. helpful. if i have any other questions. i will shoot you a pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtrationworld View Post
Hello dallison,

I've worked in water filtration for along time and I can tell you most common problems with "New housing" would be your same problem "calcium and magnesium". Depending in the area you live in your waters hardness level can vary. Being where I reside in California, the average hardness range is anywhere from 10 to 15. You can purchase hardness test kits to test your waters hardness (calcium and magnesium). There are also many qualified companys that will test your water for free, including the company I work with.

As for "Lowes and Home Depot" brands. I've serviced and installed many of them, and they do work, but my advice is to invest in a water softener that will last over time. Lowes and Homedepot brands tend to not last as long as the leading brands these days. In most cases they tend to lose suction with the brine cycle (the draw of salt/potassium) for the ionization of the resin media. Leading up for the Repair Guy to come out.

Leading up to what water softener should I get and how much will it cost. Try to stay away from the "sales people" trying to sell you a water softener. Only because when you buy it from them your dealing with large fees, leading up to the water softener being up in price ranges of $5000 +. I would recommend trying to either buying one direct online, or a dealer by your location. Even our company sells them at warehouse prices so im sure you wont have a problem buying direct, edging that annoying "sales person" out of your home. Now in my time being in the field my pro opinion in an ideal water softener would have to be a Fleck 7000 Control valve with a 48,000 grain media tank. Again it depends on the size of your home and family to determine the size of media tank, 48,000 being the most popular (filtering up to 5 adults in a medium to larger household.) And the glory about the Fleck 7000 system is its a High Flow system that not alot of other softeners offer.

Hope I answered your question, any further questions feel free to msg me.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:02 PM   #9
The Water Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallison View Post
wow, that is a lot of great info that will help me.
i still havent chosen a systen yet, i have checked with the water co on hardness on their website.

there is a plumbing/heating supply co that is right next to my work that said that they might be able to sell me a unit.

they only sell to plumbers so i know this is the same stuff plumbers install, and my price is about the same or just a little more than lowes/sears. thanks for the great info, this is most def. helpful. if i have any other questions. i will shoot you a pm

When dealing with "water treatment", I would recommend finding a good Water Treatment company to help you. Being most plumbers know how to install the units, but know little or nothing about the units. In my years of installing units you would be amazed how many times I had to follow up on a recent plumbers attempt. I recommend researching more about water softeners and then possibly talking with the company by you work, give them some good questions to answer. Test their knowledge in water treatment if they check out then awesome.

Good luck

filtrationworld is offline   Reply With Quote