DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   What kind of valve is this? (

mwong 12-05-2011 07:57 AM

What kind of valve is this?
2 Attachment(s)
I have two sinks and they are starting to get old and may need to be replaced. I am not a plummer and I don't know what kind of valve I currently have.

Can someone please help me out and tell me what kind of valve these are:
First Sink:
Attachment 42044

Second Sink:
Attachment 42045

Thank you.

oh'mike 12-05-2011 08:26 AM

That's a ball valve with a drain cock---usually used for outside hose bibs---That one appears to be installed backwards--the drain cock is on the pressure side--

mwong 12-05-2011 08:30 AM

Is it a sweat or threaded ball valve? I can't tell because of the mineral deposit build up but I would think that this is a sweat ball valve.

rossfingal 12-05-2011 08:32 AM

Hi! "mwong"

Looks like a 1/2 inch "gate" valve, with drain.
If you replace it use a "ball" valve, with drain.
The drain is the "knurled" cap on the bottom of the valve.
You might want to consider using a valve with "compression" fittings,
instead of "solder".


(Too slow!) :)
Looks like sweat.

oh'mike 12-05-2011 10:01 AM

That's a sweat fitting----odd to have that under the sink---a chrome 1/4 turn shut off with 3/8" outlet is more the standard thing---Those are available as a compression fitting---no need for a torch inside the cupboard.

mwong 12-05-2011 10:48 AM

Should I remove the old valve and replace it with a 1/4 turn pipe pipe valve or should I just add the 1/4 turn pipe valve after the current valve.

oh'mike 12-05-2011 02:46 PM

Can you take a picture from farther back so we can see the overall set-up under there?

There is no reason for double shut offs---but if the extra clutter doesn't bother you--the big old valve could stay----Mike---

mwong 12-05-2011 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 42077

Option 1: I was thinking to cut out the old valve and disconnect the 3/8" tubing and install a new elbow joint
Option 2: Or make a cut after the old valve (leaving it in place) and putting in the new valve.

I like option 1.

oh'mike 12-05-2011 06:02 PM

Option #3---Sweat off the old valve and wipe off as much solder as you can while its hot--

then either clean it up with sandpaper until it clean enough to use a compression angle shut off (5/8" nominal to 3/8") or use a sweat on (soldered) angle shut off valve--

I prefer Brasscraft --available at the Home Depot---to any other brand in the big box stores--

ddawg16 12-05-2011 06:09 PM

All I can say is, they don't build them like they used to......thank goodness.......

fireguy 12-06-2011 11:33 PM

Stop & waste, sweat sweat

Stop refers to the ball valve
Waste refers to the knurled nut, used to drain the water
Sweat sweat refers to the method of fastening the valve to the pipeing

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1