What Kind Of Shower Valve Is This? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

what kind of shower valve is this?

Hello -

I'm new at plumbing. I have a 1940s house and I'm gutting one of the bathrooms down to the studs. My plan is to replace the tub/shower fixtures and I want to make sure I do it right.

Attached are a couple of photos, one of the valve behind the tile, and the trim. The valve looks original - as it is behind the metal lathe. What's not shown is the diverter tub spout.

I have several questions:

1. Is this a pressure balancing valve?

2. While I have everything open, should I just replace with a new valve, or am I limiting myself on the number of trim options that fit this old model?

3. Am I stuck with a diverter tub spout, or would I be able to switch to a mixing valve with the tub/shower switch mounted on the trim, like the Symmons Temptrol ?

4. I've heard ceramic disc valves are typically the best quality? Is this true?

5. What are the better brands of mixing valves? Is it that you typically get what you pay for?

6. I've also noticed that the tub stop mechanism does not work anymore. It also looks original. Is this fairly easy to replace?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Advertisement

debiasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Most codes require temp balance faucets now.

1. no
2. definitely new. Many manufacturers are now making valve bodies that will accept their whole trim line. I like Kohler or Delta, but there are other good ones available. Don't skimp, cheap is cheap.
3. Multible valves mean more installation work and often more headaches after(maintenance).
4. Not aware of ceramic type temp control valves.
5. see 2
6. replace everything, and add ball type shutoffs. There are some diverter spouts that work better than others. I have been using the Delta popdown type for years. They are positive and never seem to wear out, again, cheap is cheap.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

That is a Moen valve--probably about 20 years old. If it is working there is no reason to replace it unless you want something different. If there is a current problem most likely a replacement cartridge--about $20--will resolve it. The basic valve body tends to last forever and the cartridge is replacable as a unit when/if you have problems.
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 77

If I were gutting a bath room I would replace everything new. Don't leave a 20 year old faucet. I also install new shut off valves while the water is off.
jerzeedivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:16 AM   #5
Master of none

Rewards Points: 75

Just replace the whole thing with a pressure/temperature balancing unit. Unless you have convenient access to the input pipes for shutuff valves get a mixer valve with integrated shutoffs. One of the things I have dealt with is figuring out how to cover the ugly hole behind a bath/shower where shutoff valves are!

Good luck
handy andy is offline   Reply With Quote