What Kind Of Bath Tub Drain Is This? *pics* - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What kind of bath tub drain is this? *pics*

I recently bought a house and one of the tubs has a drain style I have never seen and can't find a replacement for. The stopper unscrews to open and screws to close. It is kind of like a lift and turn only this is threaded the entire way around the little stem. Turning as the only option. I have also tried to remove the drain with no luck. In fact I broke a plug wrench without budging the drain a millimeter. Any thoughts or light you can shed on what this is, where I can order replacement parts, etc would be helpful. I have tried all of the major home repair stores online and in person have not seen even a stopper that I can replace that would work with this drain. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of bath tub drain is this? *pics*-dscn0971.jpg  

Advertisement

ruggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

this will unscrew just like any other drain. Go to a plumber's store and buy the right tool or call a handyman.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Home Remodeler

Rewards Points: 154

The rust on the tub may indicate your tub has rusted through, hope not. I have in the past had to use a chisel to remove them. Try the correct tool first. It may not budge, soak it first with some penetrating oil for a day or two. Good luck and let us know how you do.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for all of the advice. When it comes time to change out the drain I will definitely try some penetrating oil.

However, for right now I just want to simply replace the stopper that is lost. I am probably using the wrong word which is why the advice thus far is pointed towards removing the drain itself.

I just want to buy a replacement part that stops the water from flowing down the drain so I can take a bath. The plug? At any rate, most drains I have seen have a plug that either pops-up with pressure, you twist and pull up to lock in place, has a physical rubber plug or some other kind. This drain has a post that sticks up about a 1/2" above the drain. The plug screws up and down on the post to open and close the drain. I have never seen a plug/drain like this. This is not a simple turn and lock. This is a completely threaded plug. Like a valve stem on a tire. Unscrew to take the valve stem cap off to fill your tire with air. You unscrew the plug a little to let water down.

I have the same drain in another bathroom but I can't find a replacement plug on any online plumber supply or home repair type place. Any thoughts on style or type of drain/plug combo this is called?
ruggar is offline   Reply With Quote