What Kind Of Bath Tub Drain Is This? *pics* - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

What kind of bath tub drain is this? *pics*

I recently bought a house and one of the tubs has a drain style I have never seen and can't find a replacement for. The stopper unscrews to open and screws to close. It is kind of like a lift and turn only this is threaded the entire way around the little stem. Turning as the only option. I have also tried to remove the drain with no luck. In fact I broke a plug wrench without budging the drain a millimeter. Any thoughts or light you can shed on what this is, where I can order replacement parts, etc would be helpful. I have tried all of the major home repair stores online and in person have not seen even a stopper that I can replace that would work with this drain. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of bath tub drain is this? *pics*-dscn0971.jpg  


ruggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:42 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 3,590
Rewards Points: 2,000

this will unscrew just like any other drain. Go to a plumber's store and buy the right tool or call a handyman.


Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Home Remodeler
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Orchard, Wa
Posts: 243
Rewards Points: 164

The rust on the tub may indicate your tub has rusted through, hope not. I have in the past had to use a chisel to remove them. Try the correct tool first. It may not budge, soak it first with some penetrating oil for a day or two. Good luck and let us know how you do.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for all of the advice. When it comes time to change out the drain I will definitely try some penetrating oil.

However, for right now I just want to simply replace the stopper that is lost. I am probably using the wrong word which is why the advice thus far is pointed towards removing the drain itself.

I just want to buy a replacement part that stops the water from flowing down the drain so I can take a bath. The plug? At any rate, most drains I have seen have a plug that either pops-up with pressure, you twist and pull up to lock in place, has a physical rubber plug or some other kind. This drain has a post that sticks up about a 1/2" above the drain. The plug screws up and down on the post to open and close the drain. I have never seen a plug/drain like this. This is not a simple turn and lock. This is a completely threaded plug. Like a valve stem on a tire. Unscrew to take the valve stem cap off to fill your tire with air. You unscrew the plug a little to let water down.

I have the same drain in another bathroom but I can't find a replacement plug on any online plumber supply or home repair type place. Any thoughts on style or type of drain/plug combo this is called?
ruggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Furnace leak while running AC unit lbartowski HVAC 3 09-18-2009 01:46 PM
Drop in bath tub center drain to lft drain mikerich28@hotmail.com Remodeling 1 04-16-2008 08:48 PM
Bath tub leaking through Drain nitu_752002 Plumbing 5 03-31-2008 09:22 PM
The Bioswale, french drain, deck, drainage dilemma (long) seabright_sc Building & Construction 2 01-05-2008 03:37 PM
Old Type Bath Drain Tool Junkie Plumbing 4 09-26-2007 03:05 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1