Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What the heck is this?

I just bought a foreclosure and found this in the basement. No idea what it is. The guy at home depot didn't either, but he did not seem to know much. Any idea what it is? The hose connectors are odd shaped and the one on the right drips- even with the water main off, so it will be much worse when the water is turned on. I was going to get a male plug for each of the pictured connectors that are facing each other, but it is an oddball size- about and inch and a quarter. I am planning on cutting the section with the connectors out and replacing it with a straight pipe, but I would like to know what the heck it is first

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

If you are guessing when you reply, please be clear if you are not sure. Speculation is fine, as long as I know. Theories so far have been water softener and water purifier.

new456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

What the heck is this?

thats where the water meter goes. leave it alone. the wire is for the remote read for the meter.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

What the heck is this?

Quote:
=new456;648980]. No idea what it is. The guy at home depot didn't either, but he did not seem to know much.
was this a surprise to you?

Quote:
Any idea what it is? The hose connectors are odd shaped and the one on the right drips- even with the water main off, so it will be much worse when the water is turned on.
Oh, don't turn anything on. You will enjoy a very fast cold shower about your nether regions if you actually have any water from the street.

Quote:
I was going to get a male plug for each of the pictured connectors that are facing each other, but it is an oddball size- about and inch and a quarter.
yes because it's special

Quote:
I am planning on cutting the section with the connectors out and replacing it with a straight pipe, but I would like to know what the heck it is first
probably not a good idea especially since you will have to put it back in when the city turns on your water.

Quote:
If you are guessing when you reply, please be clear if you are not sure. Speculation is fine, as long as I know. Theories so far have been water softener and water purifier.
well, those that are guessing are wrong. As DannyT stated, it is the plumbing required to mount a water meter.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

What the heck is this?

Sorry, but I'm not buying the water meter theory. Both of these pipes are coming off of one common vertical pipe. There is no way for one of these to be a "supply" and one a "return", or an "enter" and "exit". Another theory: IF this happens to be a cold water (supply water) line, and the fact that this is on the basement- - maybe this is the water supply lines for a clothes washing machine that someone did not want to be using hot water. Is there a vertical drain pipe close by, say a 1 1/2" or maybe a 2" pipe the washer could drain into? I also stand to be corrected, but do want to know the correct answer.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

What the heck is this?

believe it or not there is an angled diverter where the pipes come together positioned so one of those pipes is connected to the supply side pipe and the other one connected to the house side pipe.

here is the best pic I could find in a hurry

Last edited by nap; 05-16-2011 at 01:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (05-16-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #6

What the heck is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Sorry, but I'm not buying the water meter theory. Both of these pipes are coming off of one common vertical pipe. There is no way for one of these to be a "supply" and one a "return", or an "enter" and "exit". Another theory: IF this happens to be a cold water (supply water) line, and the fact that this is on the basement- - maybe this is the water supply lines for a clothes washing machine that someone did not want to be using hot water. Is there a vertical drain pipe close by, say a 1 1/2" or maybe a 2" pipe the washer could drain into? I also stand to be corrected, but do want to know the correct answer.
No. It is for the meter. I found parts to a water meter near it. I just figured the meter would be on the outside, but it makes sense that the wire is for remote read. Makes even more sense that it's an oddball size. They don't want to make it too easy to bypass. I just went to HD looking for plugs because the small hardware with the old guy was closed and the guy at HD suggested I cut out the faucet sections and bypass it, but he seemed clueless about plumbing. Decided to figure out what it is first. I'm not one to start breaking things if I don't know what they're for. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #7

What the heck is this?

Oh- and there is a shut off that supplies it with a lock-out tag. The kind they put on to know if its been tampered with, but it doesn't say anything. This is clearly a meter. It just didn't make sense that they would come into my basement to read it. Didn't think about a remote read.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

What the heck is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by new456 View Post
. I just went to HD looking for plugs because the small hardware with the old guy was closed and the guy at HD suggested I cut out the faucet sections and bypass it, but he seemed clueless about plumbing. .
it wouldn't help to put plugs in it anyway since those two pipes allow water to flow through the meter. Putting a plug in the supply side would be no different than closing the main valve.

Not to mention bypassing it and turning on the water it outright illegal.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

What the heck is this?

I stand corrected and educated, somewhat. I'll have to Google these to understand how they work. And NO, I've never seen one in my area. Thanks for the info.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote