DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   What the h--- is this and why is it leaking? (

genEus 02-20-2013 05:17 PM

What the h--- is this and why is it leaking?
1 Attachment(s)
Suddenly started seeing rust stains on my basement workshop bench. Turns out they are coming from this "thing" ... What is it??? Do I need it? Should I replace it or rip it out and replace it with a straight through pipe?


DannyT 02-20-2013 05:27 PM

looks like a pressure reducing valve. if it is leaking replace it

joecaption 02-20-2013 05:31 PM

+1, time to rebuild it. There should be some info on the the side of it.
Far easyer to rebulid it then replace it.

jaydevries 02-20-2013 05:34 PM

i agree or rebuild and do not by pass it or you might end up with more leaks depending on curb pressure

TheEplumber 02-20-2013 06:30 PM

Looks like it in a copper line with a union nut on one side? If so replace it. Turn off the water, break the union loose, unthread from the male adapter. Reverse the order with a new PRV.

genEus 02-20-2013 08:20 PM

Thanks, all! Looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend!

jmon 02-20-2013 09:09 PM

yup, Same thing happened to me awhile back. Cost me about 30 bucks for a new one. You are lucky like I was, thank god someone put a union their and it's threaded on the other end. Should be pretty easy to change out. Don't forget the pipe dope and teflon for the threaded part. I used both.

TarheelTerp 02-20-2013 09:30 PM

Consider if there is a BETTER place to have it installed.
They're usually VERY close to where the water enters the house (at the valve).
Also consider adding a gauge or two.

HVACTECH96 02-21-2013 06:58 AM

Do you have a boiler or forced air heating?

chrisn 02-21-2013 07:04 AM

[QUOTE=joecaption;1121188]+1, time to rebuild it. There should be some info on the the side of it.
Far easyer to rebulid it then replace it.[/QUOTE]


genEus 02-21-2013 07:06 AM


Originally Posted by HVACTECH96 (Post 1121506)
Do you have a boiler or forced air heating?

yup, both. why?

COLDIRON 02-21-2013 07:09 AM

It had plenty of useful life replace it don't try to rebuild it. One little tear in a gasket or diaphragm and you get frustrated and end up buying a new one anyway.

jmon 02-21-2013 09:47 AM

I use both teflon tape and pipe dope. I put pipe dope on threads first, then wrap it with a little teflon tape. Just my preference. I feel it seals better so there is no leaking/dripping afterwards. Threads can be pesky sometimes, especially when you are mixing metals.

You don't have to, you can use either or, it's up to you. I use to use just teflon tape, which is fine 99 percent of the time, but I had to go back and fix a couple drips. That's when I started using pipe dope as well. I haven't had any leaks, drips or errors yet when working with threaded pipe.

Put on threaded side only - nothing on the union side that should be fine.

Let us know how it turned out for you, or if you need anymore guidance.

Alan 02-21-2013 10:25 AM

I've had a couple of watts 25AUB that I had to rebuild, because the darn connections were embedded in concrete. That style uses stainless screws to secure the top of the unit to the main body. That made it easy. Had it been the style pictured above, i'd have had the jackhammer out.

Otherwise, I disagree with joe. Usually easier to replace them, and not really that much more money.

joes plumbing 02-21-2013 10:46 AM

Jmon Teflon tape first then pipe dope other way squeezes dope out

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.