What Does This Valve Do? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10

What does this valve do?

I am in the process of buying a home and found that this valve on top of the water heater that appears to have a leak. The seller claims that the leak was fixed and is no longer a problem. I didn't see actual water coming out of it, but then no one was really using the hot water while I was doing the home inspection.

Can someone please tell me what this valve does and roughly how much it might cost to fix, if it turns out that it is still leaking? I might try to have some money set aside in escrow if a leak is confirmed after we take ownership.

I am a plumbing dunce. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS: Sorry if these photos are really huge.


neoteric5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10

I can honestly say I have never seen a water heater like that. That's not a bad sign though. My best guess is that it's a back flow prevention device. There is an arrow that shows the way of the flow so it only works one direction. As for the pipe below it is possibly an air gap with a drain. That's my best guess as to what it is. As for the buildup I'm personally not concerned. Even if it is leaking, to get a mineral buildup like that it must be a very slow leak. You can draw your own conclusions for yourself.


joshlaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 74
Rewards Points: 75

This is a trap primer which is made to deliver water to your floor drain to prevent it from drying out and letting sewer gas into your house. They are installed inline on a water line for a fixture in your house and are designed so that when a tap is opened, a small amount of water will drip out the bottom, where the slots are, into the bottom pipe which is tied into your floor drain. They only operate when there is flow through the device. There should not be water stains on the outside, this shows that the trap primer is failing and possibly dumping more water than the pipe can handle, or there is now some restriction of some kind in the piping off the bottom of the primer that is running to the trap. The primer itself is not that expensive, but you are probably looking at around $150-$200 installed.
Dougtheplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10

Thank you!

Thanks very much for the excellent information. This was the only remaining issue arising from the home inspection, and with this knowledge we can move forward. Thanks again!
neoteric5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to diagnose gas valve problems Nestor_Kelebay How To Guides 28 10-30-2013 04:19 PM
Cant get the valve off (with picture) clof2001 Plumbing 3 05-10-2010 03:04 AM
Help w/ mixing valve (I think) ink HVAC 15 02-28-2010 10:01 PM
Toilet: water still coming from BOTTOM of Inlet Valve DIY Mom Plumbing 1 08-12-2008 12:43 PM
Best 1/2 inch water shut off valve. Nestor_Kelebay Plumbing 10 07-25-2008 11:16 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1