Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2006, 11:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What do I cut this metal pipe with?

I have to cut the metal part of this pipe quite low to the foundation. The PVC above it is 1 1/2", so the metal pipe appears to be just a tad smaller. What should I use to cut it?

mr_trotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:32 PM   #2
Oldguy

Rewards Points: 250

If you need to cut it flush with the floor, try a sawzall with a good metal blade. Use a lower speed on the sawzall or you will overheat the blade.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:40 AM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Why do you need to cut it off? How are you going to connect anything to it if you cut it off flush?
It looks like threaded galvanized that probably can just be unscrewed out of a fitting below floor level.
Have you thought of just chipping some of the cement out first to see?
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:40 AM   #4
Journeyman Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,000

Those are the same question I would have about this pipe, what is it to and are you still needing it?
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:00 AM   #5

It's a LONG STORY, and I even asked advice of my Uncle who works in construction. The full details of the problem including pictures are here. After reading the whole thing, just know that I am now contemplating switching to 3" PVC.

Basically, I won't be cutting it flush, but a few inches above the foundation. The pipe is on the side of kitchen opposite the sink and main drain. The metal pipe ends up going underneith the tile in the kitchen. The PVC that connects above it at the 'T' joint goes to the laundry room, except the pipe is 4 feet long and perfectly horizontal. I'm trying to give it some pitch, but I've only given it a few inches. I'm doing this because when the washer pumps out the water, it starts to back up because the pipes cannot handle the brand new washer pumping water out so fast. If I cut the metal pipe, and then add a 'Y" joint, I can give it some pitch and hopefully the washer won't back up as much.

Oh, and I plan on connecting the 'Y' joint to the metal piece with a rubber adapter (flexible coupling).

My uncle recommended cutting the metal pipe with a "chain cutter" Is he thinking of something like this:

It could be a tight fit because of the pipe's proximity to the wall.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #6
Journeyman Plumber

Use a sawsall to cut the pipe, if thats galvinized steel pipe, the snap cutter won't cut it. Using a fernco will do just fine when reconnecting it, use drainage fitting for all new fitting.

Ron
Old 06-16-2006, 12:37 PM   #7

I am guessing something like this is over kill hahaha.

But here is a Wheeler Rex 591-6 and a lot of other Pipe Cutters.

Last edited by PSZach; 06-21-2006 at 02:51 PM.
PSZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 254

Are you sure that the Pipe - (especially the metal part) isn't simply clogged ? I've seen some that had a build up in them. I'll guess you'll find out when you cut the pipe.
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:27 PM   #9

It could be clogged, but I have no way of knowing until I cut it. My plan is to widen the PVC pipe from 1 1/2" to 3", give it a larger pitch, and before I apply the adhesive, I'll dump a bottle of drain unclogger down the metal pipe, and hopefully my problem will be solved.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:32 PM   #10
retaining wall project

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_trotta
The PVC that connects above it at the 'T' joint goes to the laundry room, except the pipe is 4 feet long and perfectly horizontal. I'm trying to give it some pitch, but I've only given it a few inches. I'm doing this because when the washer pumps out the water, it starts to back up because the pipes cannot handle the brand new washer pumping water out so fast.
The backing up sounds like it is caused by the room in the pipe not the angle.

Why not just switch to the 3" pvc first and see how that works.

You could raise that straight portion on the top a bit higher and maybe make that 3" pvc too.

Then you can leave the metal pipe as it is.

Also it might be possible to adjust the speed of the washer.
johnlvs2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:02 AM   #11
Journeyman Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run
The backing up sounds like it is caused by the room in the pipe not the angle.

Why not just switch to the 3" pvc first and see how that works.

You could raise that straight portion on the top a bit higher and maybe make that 3" pvc too.

Then you can leave the metal pipe as it is.

Also it might be possible to adjust the speed of the washer.
I can't make heads or tells out of what your saying here.

As a plumber, increasing the pipe to 3" does not make the existing pipe drain faster, change the speed of the washer, please tell me how to make this happen.

Last edited by Ron The Plumber; 06-29-2006 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:04 AM   #12
retaining wall project

The water is coming from the washer, not the pipe.

Increasing the diameter of the pipe, allows the WASHER to drain more quickly, and there is less pressure in the pipe to back up.

This is easy to test. Get a 1 gallon container, an 8 ounce glass, and a 2 gallon container. Fill the 1 gallon bucket with water, then quickly pour all of the water into the 8 ounce glass. Notice that most all of the water overflows, on the counter, the floor, the sink, or from wherever it is sitting.

Now fill the 1 gallon container again, and quickly pour the water into the the larger 2 gallon container. Notice the huge difference here, as none of the water overflows. If you have a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom of each container the same thing would happen. The 8 ounce glass doesn't have time to drain and rapidly overflows. The 2 gallon container has plenty of time to drain and none of the water overflows.

The same thing happens if you have a very small pipe coming from the washer vs a much larger pipe that has room for the outflow of water.

As to changing the speed of the washer, you'd need to check with a washer repair person for that, or the manufacturer of the washer.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:22 PM   #13

Perhaps these gifs will help. They are diagrams of what I have with all of the measurements and what I have and what I want to do. The only change is replacing the 48" 1.5" PVC pipe to a 3" PVC pipe and increasing the pitch.

Current:

Thinking of:

I'm wondering if the height of the black 1" tube is too high and so is the drop it makes in the white PVC initially. No? Make any difference?

johnlvs2run, I consulted GE (maker of the washer) and there is no way to slow down the water.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:15 PM   #14
retaining wall project

Increasing the pitch should not make much difference, as it's the volume of pipe below the black hose that counts. I'd change as much of it to 3" as you can. If you changed the pitch then there'd be slightly less volume in the pipe.

The height of the black 1" tube looks fine, as the water is getting past that level okay. The drop is fine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_trotta
johnlvs2run, I consulted GE (maker of the washer) and there is no way to slow down the water.
What if the outlet to the black hose was smaller. Then the water wouldn't be able to drain out as quickly. However it might just be forced through the smaller diameter more quickly, so the result would be the same. Personally I'd prefer to not mess with the washer.

I'd just try increasing the diameter of the pvc and see how that works. The water might not be overflowing by that much and the change in diameter could make all the difference. Plus that is easier to change than anything else.

Last edited by johnlvs2run; 06-29-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:59 PM   #15
Journeyman Plumber

Adding 3" pipe to that 1.5" pipe on the upper end of the line creates a reduction in the drain line, this is against all know codes, I'm sure of.

This will cause a ledge it that point of reduction, this will cause build up of lent and what have you there, which leads to stoppages.

If you increase the pipe, you must increase the pipe the entire lenght, not just a section.

Best option is to replace the fittings to drainage fitting, and clean the line out to it's full bore, if replacement is not possible. the fittings you have there now are no where close to drainage fitting, they are what you call water fittings, and not allow to be used for DWV by code.

Last edited by Ron The Plumber; 06-29-2006 at 07:05 PM.