Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

What to do with this drain/vent?

Not sure what to do with this old drain setup. I guess it is cast iron coming out of the basement floor. This is below the kitchen and was and will be used as the drain and vent for the kitchen sink. It will go straight up and vent out of the roof and the kitchen sink will be tapped into it from a horizontal drain line about 3 feet away. You can see they had a copper pipe attached to it that went up to the sink and vented as well. The copper looks like about 1 1/4 in pipe and goes into this cast iron. I cut

Attachment 63439

Attachment 63440

Attachment 63441

Attachment 63442

off the copper because I want to use PVC. After cutting out the upper portion of this mess, I realized that the last connection before it goes into the floor is loose. Can wiggle the pipe around quite a bit. There is a clean out near the bottom and the utility sink next to it drains into it at the t. Don't know how these connections are made or if they can even be taken apart. I would like to replace all of it with PVC but I'm worried about it being so close to the floor. What are my options here? Also ,if you look into the top of this pipe it is about half closed up with gunk. The he's was built in the 60's so I am assuming this is all original.

Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 26

I can't open your attachments....

Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #3

Tried again
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with this drain/vent?-image-3459227062.jpg   What to do with this drain/vent?-image-1287540414.jpg   What to do with this drain/vent?-image-2786194698.jpg   What to do with this drain/vent?-image-3100900760.jpg   What to do with this drain/vent?-image-227736387.jpg  

Old 01-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #4

First thing to consider is rerouting the line somehow so you don't have the kitchen sink attached to the existing underslab pipe. It's old, outlived its life.
If no other route is possible and you want to reconnect to it- remove everything down to the hub that wiggles. The lead in the last hub can be drilled out using a 1/4" bit and working around the pipe. Once most of the lead is removed gently wiggle/twist and lift the fitting out.
Clean everything out of the hub and buy one of these http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/donut...e-pipe-gaskets
to replace the lead/oakum and rebuild the stack with PVC
Caution: the CI hubs are fragile- don't pry against it. If it breaks you're hosed
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #5

It seems just about all of the plumbing is under the slab here... Even the hydronic baseboard heaters. I've been having fun with those as well... I don't know how or where else to run a drain for the sink. There are no other drains nearby. I will have to look around some more. There is an opening in the concrete floor below the stairs that has a cover on it, looks like a main drain pipe sticking out there. I wonder if I could use that somehow.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #6

I forgot to mention- if you reuse that line, spend some time cleaning it. There's more build up in the horizontal pipe.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber
First thing to consider is rerouting the line somehow so you don't have the kitchen sink attached to the existing underslab pipe. It's old, outlived its life.
If no other route is possible and you want to reconnect to it- remove everything down to the hub that wiggles. The lead in the last hub can be drilled out using a 1/4" bit and working around the pipe. Once most of the lead is removed gently wiggle/twist and lift the fitting out.
Clean everything out of the hub and buy one of these http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/donut...e-pipe-gaskets
to replace the lead/oakum and rebuild the stack with PVC
Caution: the CI hubs are fragile- don't pry against it. If it breaks you're hosed
If I use the gasket you suggested, how do I attach the pvc? Does it just push into the new gasket? I am assuming that the gasket goes into the CI flange and then the new pipe gets pushed into the gasket probably with some sort of lube or sealant?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 22

I would cut off the CI below the bell and go to a banded Fernco coupling to a PVC Y with another cleanout. Donuts are a last resort with me, and you will need the cleanout if you keep the CI pipe below.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-10-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans
I would cut off the CI below the bell and go to a banded Fernco coupling to a PVC Y with another cleanout. Donuts are a last resort with me, and you will need the cleanout if you keep the CI pipe below.
I am thinking about doing just that. However, I am concerned about the banded clamp not sealing because of the casting seams on what would be left after cutting it:
looking closer at the pics, can it still work? Grind down the casting seams somehow??
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with this drain/vent?-image-3504783565.jpg   What to do with this drain/vent?-image-1461760311.jpg   What to do with this drain/vent?-image-1423368392.jpg   What to do with this drain/vent?-image-815772303.jpg   What to do with this drain/vent?-image-1885542616.jpg  

Old 01-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
If I use the gasket you suggested, how do I attach the pvc? Does it just push into the new gasket? I am assuming that the gasket goes into the CI flange and then the new pipe gets pushed into the gasket probably with some sort of lube or sealant?
You can do it 2 ways- donut in the hub and then lube the pipe and inside the gasket with dishsoap or put the donut on the pipe and then push it into the bell. It's 50/50 to which way works better. You'll need a hammer probably.
I would choose the gasket over cutting. If that pipe cracks while cutting you're screwed. Should be able to get the gasket at a box store
Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber

You can do it 2 ways- donut in the hub and then lube the pipe and inside the gasket with dishsoap or put the donut on the pipe and then push it into the bell. It's 50/50 to which way works better. You'll need a hammer probably.
I would choose the gasket over cutting. If that pipe cracks while cutting you're screwed. Should be able to get the gasket at a box store
I think trying this first might be the smart idea. If for some reason It doesnt work, i can always cut it after. If I cut it first, In stuck with it.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
I think trying this first might be the smart idea. If for some reason It doesnt work, i can always cut it after. If I cut it first, In stuck with it.
Just be careful- the last one I did I cracked the hub. We should have replaced the pipe under the slab too but the HO said no. Don't wiggle the pipe
Old 01-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #13

I will give it a try, no guts no glory... Thanks for the advice. I will post my progress this weekend.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 22

You can use a right angle grinder and clean up the pipe a bit. Get yourself a heavy duty Mission coupling with 4 bands. They have thin ribs of rubber that will seal up just fine.

If you decde to use the donut routine, heres a hint for you. Take a cobalt drill and drill a hole or two upward at about a 30 degree angle right below the rim on the bell. Heat the bell evenly around with a Mapp Gas torch keep moving the torch around the bell. Pretty soon that lead will just run right out the holes you made leaving just the oakum. Use a hook tool to take the oakum out.

But if it was me, Id cut below the bell and go Misson Heavyweight coupling to PVC Y with cleanout. It will seal, I gar-on-tee-it, and I have 100% more faith in the fernco coupling than the donut. Just make sure you put it on a straight section of pipe.

Note the sealing ribs in these beasts.
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with this drain/vent?-heavyweightcouplings.jpg  

Last edited by jagans; 01-10-2013 at 07:28 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #15

I cut my CI with a grinder that had a 4" wheel. Lots of metal dust, so wear a mask. You may be able to grind off that little nub on the side of your CI pipe if you are concerned about the Fernco sealing tight. I used PVC to CI with Fernco banded on a buried pipe under my house.

roxytom is offline   Reply With Quote