What Is The Difference Between A Quarter Bend And Short Sweep 90? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

What is the difference between a quarter bend and short sweep 90?

I am reading the IPC Table 706.3 regarding plumbing code, and have been unable to determine the difference between a quarter bend and a short sweep? It seems like they are the same thing, however the short sweep can be used when changing vertical to horizontal direction on drain piping, the quarter bend cannont....so there is obviously a difference.

Thanks

Advertisement

troyce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyce1 View Post
I am reading the IPC Table 706.3 regarding plumbing code, and have been unable to determine the difference between a quarter bend and a short sweep? It seems like they are the same thing, however the short sweep can be used when changing vertical to horizontal direction on drain piping, the quarter bend cannont....so there is obviously a difference.

Thanks
I've always used those two terms interchangeably (as have my local wholesalers). But we also have what we refer to as a "vent 90" which is even tighter than a standard 90. Maybe that's what is technically/properly called a quarter bend in the IPC(?)

Here's a "vent 90": http://www.lowes.com/pd_23349-1814-P...ductId=3132769

Edited to add: Here in MA, a short-sweep (or "standard") 90 can be used to change from horizontal to vertical, NOT the other way around.

Advertisement

Last edited by Ishmael; 12-17-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

A quarter bend is a standard 90 degree elbow, as far as I know. Using the term "Short" and "Sweep" together is an oxymoron as far as I am concerned.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyce1 View Post
the short sweep can be used when changing vertical to horizontal direction on drain piping, the quarter bend cannont....so there is obviously a difference.

Thanks
Are you sure you're reading that correctly? Doesn't sound like anything i've ever seen before. Read again please.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Quarter bend is a simple 90 a vent 90 is to be used only for venting and more expensive so most use a quarter bend drain 90 for venting. There are short sweeps and long sweeps very much as the name implies these 90 fittings have a long and longer sweep to aid in drainage. Where flow is from horizontal to the horizontal long pattern fittings are necessary to prevent excessive reduction in velocity.Where the flow is from horizontal to vertical shorter pattern fittings are allowed because the acceleration of gravity maintains the flow A short sweep vertical to horizontal is only allowed for 2 " or smaller drains. Short sweeps horizontal to horizontal only 2 " or smaller IRC 2009 code
mr leak is offline   Reply With Quote