Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #1

Share |

What to consider when choosing the material for replaceing supply lines to bath

i am in the bathroom walls already f or new valve and such. part of the ceiling on the main floor is already expposed still several more feet of rock to cut out if I replace the lines. Existing is galvanized. What I have seen is not nearly as bad as expected. but there is crud all in ther and everytime you work on a line for faucet or something it lets loose a bunch. this time it thouroghly clog the new tub valve, cause i forgot to flush first. So even though I dont want the extra work now I thought maybe just replace the lines.
If that makes sense then what material should I use. what would you consider in makeing the choice.

It originates in the basement up wall through ceiling on main floor 90's in there goes under the floor of the top floor and up to tub first then along to sink and I gues somehow to the toilet. Hmm might not rip up the bathroom floor. so the sink may have that section stay galvanized. so copper, sell the car and buy the pipe, pvc, or pex. It is not realy drinkinng water or else it would be copper.
papason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #2

Suppy lines are never PVC, use Pex, copper or CPVC instead.
It's no longer code to run the supplys up through the floors. They need to be in the walls.
Those lines may look ok that's because they rust from the inside. At some point they will leak and become so pluged up the flow will be reduced.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
DIY staff

Check local code to see what is an acceptable pipe in your area. If PEX is allowed consider that.

Pipes can penetrate the floors here,so check local code on that,also.

Most towns have their codes available on line---Even if the work is not permitted,always meet or exceed local code---No one can complain if you do the work right.---Mike---
TheEplumber (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #4

I'm surprised nobody mentioned you need special fittings to join copper and galvinized pipe. Otherwise, electrolysis will cause corrosion and clogging with minerals. Brass fittings will work to bridge copper to galvinized.

Usually, once you get one leak more will soon follow. If I had the wall open I would replace the entire run.

PEX is probably the easiest and cheapest approach. I just replaced 27 year old Type M copper with PEX and brass. The copper had gotten to the point that a new leak would develop every other month. Being a traditionalist I was going to use all Type L copper, but the PEX was about 1/2 cost. I used the home run layout for the PEX, so the only connections are in the basement and at the fixture. Easier to repair in the future and easier on the back not having to solder and elbow under the floor.

If your inspector allows, you can leave the old pipe in place and run the PEX through a different route.
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #5

I had the expectation that copper was cost prohibitive. I found it realy is not. If someone used those shark bite slip connectors, that is expensive.
papason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
DIY staff

So true--I bought one to try it--holy cow--never did try it--