What Connectors Should I Use With PEX - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

What connectors should i use with PEX

Bought a house that didnt get winterized and has busted pipes. Thinking about just starting over and using PEX. What should i use for the connectors? Sharkbite connectors look the easiest but are they reliable? I know they are hella expensive, but itd still be cheeper then hiring someone. Are the barb adn crimp kind reliable? The tool for them is expensive but i dont have a problem buying it if they are more reliable then the other options.

Advertisement

eagertolearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,180

I did my house using Wirsbo PEX. The fittings require an expansion tool, cost me about $300. Well worth it. I don't know anything about sharkbites, but I would stay away from brass fittings, see the lawsuit against Zurn for failure of their brass fittings. I use exclusively plastic fittings (Wirsbo polysulfone) with my PEX, except for valves that come in brass or stainless only. My well water is pretty acidic, so brass is a real problem.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I did my house using Wirsbo PEX. The fittings require an expansion tool, cost me about $300. Well worth it. I don't know anything about sharkbites, but I would stay away from brass fittings, see the lawsuit against Zurn for failure of their brass fittings. I use exclusively plastic fittings (Wirsbo polysulfone) with my PEX, except for valves that come in brass or stainless only. My well water is pretty acidic, so brass is a real problem.
The sharkbites are copper not brass. Are there any national stores that sell the Wirsbo? Id like to look at the stuff. Friend of a friend use to do some plumbing but PEX was just coming in he said and the only advice he had was to use the right connectors otherwise the stuff leaks. I went to Lowes and HD late last night and was unimpressed with their selection of PEX.

Also in doing a forum search found where it said that 3/4" PEX is like 1/2" copper. I have 3/4" service so should i feed 1" Pex to the bathrooms and kitchen or is 3/4" sufficient. Origionally the house was done entirely with 3/8" flexable copper tubing.
eagertolearn is offline   Reply With Quote