DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   What is the best way to run hot and cold water supplies for this...? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/what-best-way-run-hot-cold-water-supplies-168326/)

oodssoo 01-05-2013 06:46 PM

What is the best way to run hot and cold water supplies for this...?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Hope your new year has been a great one thus far.

If you have been keeping up with my other post on drain lines, I am moving right along into my next chapter of water supply lines.

The question is this:

How would you run your supply lines to:

1) Kitchen sink faucets
2) Dishwasher (hot only)
3) Washing machine
4) Lav sink faucets
5) Toilet (cold only)
6) Shower/Tub

I plan to tap off of the 3/4" (PEX) hot and cold supply lines from the water heater.

Please reference the sketch below attached. Your constructive criticisms are welcomed. :)

Thank you in advance.

Alan 01-05-2013 06:57 PM

Way too much information missing here for me to even touch this.

What kind of response are you looking for here? :huh:

oodssoo 01-05-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 1087051)
Way too much information missing here for me to even touch this.

What kind of response are you looking for here? :huh:

Perhaps...

What would you need to know in order to write a helpful response?

Ps. I will use your input to run my water lines for my basement project. So anything can help put together a plan for me. :)

Alan 01-05-2013 07:03 PM

The only response I can give based on your information is to run a 1/2" line off of the 3/4" supply for each side of each fixture hot and cold, EXCEPT for the dishwasher which normally tees off underneath the kitchen sink cabinet. You can put your tee inside the wall so you have two separate valves (one for sink one for dishwasher)

Is this what you're asking?

oodssoo 01-05-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 1087056)
The only response I can give based on your information is to run a 1/2" line off of the 3/4" supply for each side of each fixture hot and cold, EXCEPT for the dishwasher which normally tees off underneath the kitchen sink cabinet. You can put your tee inside the wall so you have two separate valves (one for sink one for dishwasher)

Is this what you're asking?

That info definintely helps, yes. Thank you, Alan.

Would you suggest t-ing off of 3/4" supply line from the water heater to each of my fixtures or do you suggest using a 3/4x1/2x4 manifold to split off the supply tap?

Thank you.

Alan 01-05-2013 07:39 PM

Kind of depends on the distance and all that....


With a 3/4" line tree and branch system, your initial purge of cold water takes longer, but water will be close to all fixtures.

With a manifold system near the water heater, each purge will take less time due to reduced volume, but the purge will be a similar length of time for each fixture because they have to purge cold all the way from the manifold fitting.

TheEplumber 01-05-2013 08:05 PM

Sounds like these lines are for basement fixtures?
If the existing water lines are in close proximity you can tap into them for 1 or more fixtures- depending on the pipe sizes and existing load.
Your nonspecific questions will only get you shotgun answers.

oodssoo 01-05-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber (Post 1087100)
Sounds like these lines are for basement fixtures?
If the existing water lines are in close proximity you can tap into them for 1 or more fixtures- depending on the pipe sizes and existing load.
Your nonspecific questions will only get you shotgun answers.

The distance from the kitchen, laundry, then to the bathroom will be about 15 ft. Branch off to fixture distance will be approximately 8 ft. And from the hot water heater, it is about 14 ft to the branches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber (Post 1087100)
Sounds like these lines are for basement fixtures?
If the existing water lines are in close proximity you can tap into them for 1 or more fixtures- depending on the pipe sizes and existing load.
Your nonspecific questions will only get you shotgun answers.

Yes, in deed. They, E. This is the "next chapter" to my plumbing drain episode post... :)

Alan 01-05-2013 08:42 PM

Posting a layout would help.


:yes:

oodssoo 01-05-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 1087133)
Posting a layout would help.


:yes:

I've attached the sketch on the original post.

Alan 01-05-2013 08:56 PM

Standard tub/shower only requires a 1/2" line unless you are doing some crazy body sprays and other things.


In the case of your bathroom you could actually stub a 3/4 cold up at the lavatory, and run your cold line inside of the wall if it would be easier. Same with the hot if you wanted. There's no "better way".

The way you have it drawn is fine, just make sure your 3/4 cold goes at least to the toilet, and your 3/4 hot goes to the lav. The last tees could be a 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2.

TheEplumber 01-05-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oodssoo (Post 1087135)
I've attached the sketch on the original post.

I'm not trying to be critical of your drawing but when you call out a tee fitting size- the run is called out first, then the branch. Some of yours are mislabeled. If you were ordering over the phone you'd get the wrong ones:furious:
A 3/4x3/4x1/2 could also be called a 3/4x1/2 tee since the run is not reducing in size and it is redundant to repeat it. Hope this helps :thumbup:

oodssoo 01-05-2013 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 1087144)
Standard tub/shower only requires a 1/2" line unless you are doing some crazy body sprays and other things.


In the case of your bathroom you could actually stub a 3/4 cold up at the lavatory, and run your cold line inside of the wall if it would be easier. Same with the hot if you wanted. There's no "better way".

The way you have it drawn is fine, just make sure your 3/4 cold goes at least to the toilet, and your 3/4 hot goes to the lav. The last tees could be a 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2.

Here is the revised based on your recommendation.... I think it will work better for the hot water to be closer to the tub... less "wait time"... :)

oodssoo 01-05-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber (Post 1087176)
I'm not trying to be critical of your drawing but when you call out a tee fitting size- the run is called out first, then the branch. Some of yours are mislabeled. If you were ordering over the phone you'd get the wrong ones:furious:
A 3/4x3/4x1/2 could also be called a 3/4x1/2 tee since the run is not reducing in size and it is redundant to repeat it. Hope this helps :thumbup:

It does help, E. ... Though, what I need by labling that way is to have clear map out of the lines. :)

(Constructive criticisms are welcomed)

Alan 01-05-2013 10:06 PM

The orientation of your Lav tee should be a 3/4 x 1/2 x 3/4 (remember continue 3/4" cold to the toilet)

Cold tee at toilet should be 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2

Cold tee at washer should be 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2

Agree with above that some of your labeling is confusing me....


Hot tee at washer is 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2. Run a 1/2" line to kitchen and delete the dishwasher from the picture all together.

Hot tee at Lav is 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2


Hope this helps.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved