Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #1

Share |

What is this bell shaped thing

My bathtub drain is leaking a bit and I wanted to replace the old parts with new PVC to make things easier. However, what the heck is the "bell" shaped object that is tied into my drain right after the trap (im talking about the metal part on the far right)?

Can I remove it, or replace it?
Attached Thumbnails
What is this bell shaped thing-photo.jpg  

patented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Master Plumber

A bigger problems may be that you have lead pipes off that drain, at least thats the way it appears on the picture. As for the bell Iíve seen similar on the older legged tubs it was the old stopper. Maybe? for sure someone here will know.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #3

That's your trap. Trace the lead pipes- you need to find cast iron or galvanized pipe to connect the new work to. Then you can replace the trap with a modern p trap-
Old 08-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #4

So it is not ok to connect PVC to the lead pipe using a rubber coupling and clamps?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

No, because the lead will collapse once you place pressure on it, or even worse, start spider cracking.

This is a job, and one that if you are not comfortable in doing, is okay to call in a profesional. Find a small biz owner shop, don't call something like Roto-rooter or someone with a big advert.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #6

gregzoll's spot on with the lead.
is it leaking at the brass waste and overflow or the drum trap?
If at the brass, you might be able to fix it.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
gregzoll's spot on with the lead.
is it leaking at the brass waste and overflow or the drum trap?
If at the brass, you might be able to fix it.
It is actually leaking at the brass section that is directly attached to my tub. I probably just need to remove the drain, and seal it up nice and tight with some new putty. Right?

I was originally thinking it would be ideal to just replace most of the lead pipe, but it sounds like I would have to replace ALL of the lead pipe.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by patented View Post
It is actually leaking at the brass section that is directly attached to my tub. I probably just need to remove the drain, and seal it up nice and tight with some new putty. Right?

I was originally thinking it would be ideal to just replace most of the lead pipe, but it sounds like I would have to replace ALL of the lead pipe.
You're going to want a tool to do that. The dumb bell looking one is the cheapest but it relies on the cross bars in drain to remain intact. Often times they bust out because the drain is seized. Thats when the other tool is handy, but its expensive.
Once the drain is removed, clean all surfaces, replace the gasket under the tub and use putty on the top side. While you got it apart, it may not be a bad idea to replace the nylon bevel gasket at the compression nut in the horizontal piece. Be careful though, avoid torking against the trap.
At some point the trap should be replaced- it belongs in a plumbing museum and don't attempt to run a drain snake through it or you'll be cutting it out for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this bell shaped thing-dumbell_wrench.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:

There is actually a gasket between the face of the brass fitting and the tub. Putty will not seal that part. Also depending on how the tub was kept and no acids used for clog, if there was any drain cleaners used, it can rot the cast Iron of the tub.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #10

I'm personally 0 for 2 trying to "save" one of these old tub drains. Drum traps
worked well in their day but trying to repair 50+ year old stuff even if it was good quality is a long shot. I'd go buy the best quality brass set up I could
find and be done with it. I never use plastic drain assemblies on places where
my eyes won't go (within reason) on a tub or shower job. Connecting to lead
is a dubious exercise as well. Plumbing is like lighting a fuse sometimes.
It's gonna blow but your just not sure when and where.LOL. Have fun.
LeakyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #11

Eplumber - What are those tools called?

If I use brass parts, I assume they can be brazed with a torch onto the lead? Or is that a no-no? I have plenty of experience brazing copper, but have never brazed lead.

This is starting to look like a bigger project than I anticipated
Old 08-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Eplumber - What are those tools called?

If I use brass parts, I assume they can be brazed with a torch onto the lead? Or is that a no-no? I have plenty of experience brazing copper, but have never brazed lead.

This is starting to look like a bigger project than I anticipated
google "tub drain tool" There's even videos listed to show how to use them and make the repair you're dealing with.
Here's your 2 options- Repair the gasket leak at the drain or rebuild with new trap and pipe (replacing the lead) Don't try to work with the lead. It's a lost art. Very few plumbers remain that know how to wipe a lead joint.
As previously mentioned in a comment, this project can easily escalate into option #2 So plan every move.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #13

that is called a drum trap...old ..very old ..yep replace all the old parts and lead lines.....
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #14

OK, I think I may just have someone replace the entire line from the tub to the stack. The ceiling is already open, might as well do it now.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #15

Quote:
OK, I think I may just have someone replace the entire line from the tub to the stack. The ceiling is already open, might as well do it now.
If I came into your home for repair work- that is what I'd suggest