DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What is this?

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  old_squid 
#1 ·
Was poking around in my basement and notice this. Looks like some kind of water line? The other end isn't attached to anything.

I'm afraid if I remove it, I'll have a leak.
Is this kind of like a "scotch lock" they use in wiring? Is there a pin hole in the copper under this?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That is a piercing valve. Most plumbers hate them. They end up leaking as time goes by

It either fed your refer or a make up water line to a piece of HVAC equip. in your basement.
If you unscrew the tee handle water will come out the hose. I suggest, when you get around to it, turn off the house supply, remove the valve, cut the pipe at the small hole and rejoin it using a "shark bite" coupling.

#10 ·
That is a piercing valve. Most plumbers hate them. They end up leaking as time goes by

It either fed your refer or a make up water line to a piece of HVAC equip. in your basement.
If you unscrew the tee handle water will come out the hose. I suggest, when you get around to it, turn off the house supply, remove the valve, cut the pipe at the small hole and rejoin it using a "shark bite" coupling.

Hey E you gonna start with the sharkbite thing again:whistling2:

#13 ·
I'm thinking that it was used to slowly inject mind changing chemicals into the water supply.....
The water supply for members of this forum, yes.

By the way, fixing that is practically an advertisement for SharkBite. That and PEX are the best things to ever happen for DIY plumbers. No fire, no molten metal, easily undone if needed, and you can always work on wet pipe.

#4 ·
Ok thanks guys. The other end does come out at the furnace but isn't attached to anything.
Out of curiosity, what would you use this in HVAC for?

Instead of putting a piece of pipe or a shark bite in, can I put a drop of solder on the pin hole instead?

#5 · (Edited)
Instead of putting a piece of pipe or a shark bite in, can I put a drop of solder on the pin hole instead?[/QUOTE]

IMO, that would be like putting a piece of bubble gum in a hole in a dam. It just wouldn't hold the pressure. E's got the best advice if you want to fix it down the road sometime. Sharkbites are quick, easy and require no soldering and are just as good as soldering.

If it's not leaking, don't mess with it until you are ready to fix it properly.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.