Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #1

Share |

What was this for?

My wife and I moved in to this house in October 09, and this has been bothering me ever since. In my closet in the bedroom, there is a water tank with a pipe running up from the floor in one end, and out the other in to the ceiling. The top pipe runs in to the attic and connects to the main drain stack. I have no idea where the other end goes.

Here is a link to a few pictures: http://imgur.com/a/qOnqm

Any ideas? My first thought was some sort of expansion tank for an old steam heat system. The house currently has a hot water boiler and some huge old cast iron radiators that may have been converted from steam to water.

ihildreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
DIY staff

What was this for?

That's a new one----How old is the house?

We have some good plumbers here and a couple of old time boiler guys---hopefully someone will spot this.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

What was this for?

Its then expansion tank for the boiler. the pipe on the top should run out through the roof somewhere. Thats an open system. The tank never needed draining.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ihildreth (08-07-2011), oh'mike (08-07-2011)
Old 08-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #4

What was this for?

My folks' house had a similar tank, though not so tin-man looking. I remember staring at the 3' long sight glass and very old style valves on it. Reminded me of a steam locomotive.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #5

What was this for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Its then expansion tank for the boiler. the pipe on the top should run out through the roof somewhere. Thats an open system. The tank never needed draining.
The top pipe is Tee'd in to the main drain/vent for the house up in the attic. I don't see anyplace it connects to the current boiler system. The current system has an expansion tank plumbed in right next to the boiler.

I really want to remove it and free up that closet space.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #6

What was this for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
That's a new one----How old is the house?

We have some good plumbers here and a couple of old time boiler guys---hopefully someone will spot this.
Built in 1930.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:23 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

What was this for?

It very well may have been abandoned as the expansion tank, when they installed a new boiler. Since you have an expansion tank in the basement now, that tank is no longer needed.

You should be able to find the pipe in the basement yet, that went to the system. most likely just cut off.

On a few systems, the tank was tapped into a pipe on the second floor. So make sure it isn't piped that way. If it isn't, just cut it out. If it is, then dismantle at a joint, and use a pipe cap to close off the pipe. You will need to drain the water level below that joint first though.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #8

What was this for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
It very well may have been abandoned as the expansion tank, when they installed a new boiler. Since you have an expansion tank in the basement now, that tank is no longer needed.

You should be able to find the pipe in the basement yet, that went to the system. most likely just cut off.

On a few systems, the tank was tapped into a pipe on the second floor. So make sure it isn't piped that way. If it isn't, just cut it out. If it is, then dismantle at a joint, and use a pipe cap to close off the pipe. You will need to drain the water level below that joint first though.
Well then I guess it could be connected to the line that feeds the radiator in the bathroom, which shares the wall directly behind it. I hadn't thought of that.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

What was this for?

One way to test it. Is when you run the heat, see if it warms up. If it does, its still connected.