Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #1

Share |

Wet baseboard in newly renoed bathroom.

Hello,

We recently renovated our powder room. We gutted everything but the walls. We did some updates on the plumbing. One of thechanges we did to the plumbing was to the pipe leading from the toilet to the water main (under the sink). The previous copper pipe that was there was running alongside the wall, but was not hidden and looked terrible. So during the renovations we decided to install a new copper pipe and hide it in the wall. We then tiled the floor, and put baseboards in. This was about 4 weeks ago.

Over the past 2 weeks I have been noticing some wet marks on the baseboards. The biggest one was on thebaseboard located right in front of that hidden pipe. The other water marks are located on the baseboards on the opposite wall of the wall where the pipe is.

Today we took down one of the baseboards and it was really damp, however we observed the copper pipe and didnt see any leaks. It was very very very cold though! My handyman suggested that the dampness of the baseboards can be due to the sweating of the pipe? But this does not explain the wet spots on the baseboards of the opposite wall!

I dont know what I should do. If the pipe doesnt leak is this a job for a plumber ordomething else? I really do not want to have a mold problem.

Could it be the toilet? Perhaps not properly reinstalled, after tiling?

Evalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #2

If the toilet was leaking the water would be on the floor not behind the base boards.
No one here knows how you ran the pipes, knows if you even did a pressure test to check for leaks before the rock went up.
If you ran the pipes to close to the sheetock and did not use nailing plates, or used to long a screw there's always a chance you screwed unto the pipe.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #3

You said the pipe was really cold but was there condensation on the pipe? You can't go wrong insulating it.
Any drain or wet vent pipes in the area?
plummen (04-29-2012)