Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 168

Well Water + Softener

i recently moved into a 1950's house that uses well water and softener. i was a little nervous about well water since i was so used to the squeakyness of city chlorinated water. my skin and hair have never felt so soft with the well water and softener combination. i didn't expect this at all. is it because of the softener? or the lack of chlorine in the water?

Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 626

Well Water + Softener

Both. Plus Chlorine is a oxidizer and a poison and kills and drys out your skin and hair.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Well Water + Softener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully View Post
i recently moved into a 1950's house that uses well water and softener. i was a little nervous about well water since i was so used to the squeakyness of city chlorinated water. my skin and hair have never felt so soft with the well water and softener combination. i didn't expect this at all. is it because of the softener? or the lack of chlorine in the water?
Boy, I think you may have it a little backwards. "Squeakiness" is caused by soap and calcium deposits on your skin, in other words, not very clean. Glasses and plates should feel squeaky, not skin.

I don't understand how your skin and hair don't feel soft with the softener...assuming it is working. Your skin should feel soft and silky while bathing if your softener is working.

Chlorinated hard water will dry your skin (making it feel dry even under the water). The skin adsorbs the chlorine and it gets into the body when you inhale it and drink it. In fact, with your city water you are being a de-chlorinating filter (carbon-based entity) while the calcium deposits accumulate on your skin.
Andy CWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 168

Well Water + Softener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy CWS View Post
Boy, I think you may have it a little backwards. "Squeakiness" is caused by soap and calcium deposits on your skin, in other words, not very clean. Glasses and plates should feel squeaky, not skin.

I don't understand how your skin and hair don't feel soft with the softener...assuming it is working. Your skin should feel soft and silky while bathing if your softener is working.

Chlorinated hard water will dry your skin (making it feel dry even under the water). The skin adsorbs the chlorine and it gets into the body when you inhale it and drink it. In fact, with your city water you are being a de-chlorinating filter (carbon-based entity) while the calcium deposits accumulate on your skin.
what?!? i am saying that well water and softener have given me surprisingly good results. i can never go back to chlorine water.
Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Well Water + Softener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully View Post
what?!? i am saying that well water and softener have given me surprisingly good results. i can never go back to chlorine water.
Sorry, I inferred that your "squeakiness" was desirable. I re-read your post and see what you are saying. NEEDED TO FINISH MY COFFEE FIRST.
Andy CWS is offline   Reply With Quote