Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #1

Share |

Well water and sediment

Hello, i'm new here and I prefer to do most of everything "DIY". Normally I just find things on google and go from there without being apart of a community or anything like that to get stuff done so this may be nice .

But anyways...

I live in a manufactured home with a well system... And i get ALOT of sediment or minerals or w/e. Every 6 months or so I have to change the filters on the end of the faucets because they get so packed up... it's been 3 years now of doing this and I guess i've been pushing back the idea that this is all that will happen...

I'm sure if I just keep pushing off the core problem this could end up to be bigger costly repairs?

Is there not a filter of some kind put into ALL well water systems that I can just change my self or will there need to be some kind of adding a filter system to my plumbing?

triggerthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Well water and sediment

You can get inexpensive sediment filters with changeable fiber cartridges with different micron sizes for filtering out different size stuff. You just plumb them inline on the incoming main water line before it goes to any fixture or the water heater.
Check with a plumbing supply or big box store.
Good Luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #3

Well water and sediment

so their more than likely I'll have to cut pipe and add the filter to the system? Would right before the water heater in the water heater closet be good?
Old 08-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
STAFF

Well water and sediment

The well pump I had had a filter on the bottom of the well. You need to put the whole house filter in the incoming water line of your home, just putting one on the water heater inlet will only filter your hot water.

Here is a link to a water filter similar to the one we have in our house, I think Ace Hardware, Wal-Mart, Home dump and Lowe's has these at different prices. Ours does a great job and takes all the taste out of the water. (I don't know what brand ours is)
http://www.randystacye.com/diy_canister_filter.htm

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #5

Well water and sediment

thank you jiju1943 that's some great help and has the glow of DIY written all over it lol...

do you know of a better website to get more information? that website doesn't have any links or anything is it just that 1 page? I guess it assumes you already have some pretty good plumbing experience.

By doing it in the water heater closet I meant that's normally where the main incoming line of water comes in at right? And I would try to plumb into that line before the water heater.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
STAFF

Well water and sediment

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerthis View Post
thank you jiju1943 that's some great help and has the glow of DIY written all over it lol...

do you know of a better website to get more information? that website doesn't have any links or anything is it just that 1 page? I guess it assumes you already have some pretty good plumbing experience.

By doing it in the water heater closet I meant that's normally where the main incoming line of water comes in at right? And I would try to plumb into that line before the water heater.
Here is a link to a video that shows how to install a filter. You don't want to install the filter in the line that fills your hot water heater it will only filter the water to the hot water heater, not the cold water in your house. You need to install in the main water line that comes into the house. Here is the link to the video.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...282819,00.html

Here is a link if you don't want to watch a video.
http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how...ter/index.html

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
triggerthis (08-09-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #7

Well water and sediment

thank you very much that's some great help!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #8

Well water and sediment

We've got something like this: Pentek #20 3G MB Standard Clear Whole House Filter Housing on the line just before the water softener. We use 20 micron filters. Keeps all the sediment out. Improves the taste of the water tremendously, too.

The guys who installed our last new softener recommended it, to protect the softener against a well point failure. It was an inexpensive addition, so we had them add it. Now I wouldn't be w/o one.

If you've got DIY talent, I can't imagine it would be difficult to add one.
More Power! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to More Power! For This Useful Post:
triggerthis (08-09-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
STAFF

Well water and sediment

It isn't hard to install, I am an ole nail whooper and I have installed a few of them. They are well worth the trouble to install one, I wouldn't be without one either.

Jim
Old 08-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #10

Well water and sediment

My water heater closet is really tiny and I don't think the main water line is in here but their are 2 white tubes coming out of the floor into the closet tho so im not completely sure

also the valve next to the pressure tank next to the well outside would be the equivalent of shutting of my water like the meter in the video correct?

so the space to work will be really hard trying to install this in here and my plumbing is flexy plastic pipe I dunno what type of pipe this is but i'm sure some one could tell me at home depot?

Also this type of pipe should be easier to work with than copper right?

i've never done plumbing before but i'm sure i'll be able to get this done
Old 08-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #11

Well water and sediment

Trig,

Post some pics and we should be able to help you out.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VIPlumber For This Useful Post:
BigJim (08-08-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #12

Well water and sediment

First off if you can tell from the picture there's about 3-4 feet of empty space to the right of the heater that you can't even access because of a wall which i will probably have to knock out to get in there to add this filter if i'm going to be able to even do it in here...

Okay the top right box is a white and a red going into the crawl space...
i assume their flow is TO the crawl space to be distributed to the rest of the house what i don't understand why is there a white tube (for cold right?) coming out of the heater. (let alone 2)

the second box is another white tube coming out of the crawl space going into or coming out of the water heater...

I don't understand why there's a white coming OUT OF the heater with the red but putting 2 and 2 together the second box at the bottom is the main water source from the well

I could cut into it right there and hang it up on a shelf up against that wall?
Attached Thumbnails
Well water and sediment-58.jpg  
Old 08-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #13

Well water and sediment

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Power! View Post
We've got something like this: Pentek #20 3G MB Standard Clear Whole House Filter Housing on the line just before the water softener. We use 20 micron filters. Keeps all the sediment out. Improves the taste of the water tremendously, too.

The guys who installed our last new softener recommended it, to protect the softener against a well point failure. It was an inexpensive addition, so we had them add it. Now I wouldn't be w/o one.

If you've got DIY talent, I can't imagine it would be difficult to add one.
I love trying to do everything my self, most of all my experience is just in lumber. I've built a huge custom playset for my kids and a gazebo and some other miscellaneous outside things. Knocked out a pair of windows for french doors to walk out on a 30x10 porch. I'm sure with a bit of your guys' help i can tackle plumbing and then electrical work i'm only 22 years old right now

Thank you that seems like the complete package under it... all for around a 100 bucks

I believe I have a less mainstream type of plumbing (cheap lol) hopefully people still sell it lol
Old 08-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #14

Well water and sediment

Trig,

Above is a picture of what the typical install would look like. The valve on the left is the main house shut-off. Sorry but your pic doesn't really give me a good idea of the space your working with, other than to say you'll need to widen the door, or provide some other type of access, as it looks pretty tight in that closet. Maybe you could mount it high up on the wall in there, that might do the trick.

In addition to the filter and housing I'd also grab another ball valve shut-off (place after the filter/downstream) and a hose bib & T to T off in between the main house shut-off and the water filter. That way you don't have to drain the whole house, by using the shut-off downstream of the filter, and you can relieve the pressure at the filter by using the hose bib to drain off the water thus making the removal of the filter housing easier. Just remember to close both shut-offs and then use a bucket to catch the little bit of water pressure that remains. Then you'll want to use the same bucket, 5 gal or so, and place it under and against the filter when you remove it. It contains also as much water as is inside there so be careful not to splash any around and make a mess.

One last thing, get a sheet of 3/4" or 1" plywood and cut it to fit your studs, 16" OC usually. It's a lot easier to mount it that way.

Good luck!

P.S. - Could you take a pic of the water heater head on? There are a couple of things in your first pic that make me go hmmm...

Last edited by VIPlumber; 08-10-2011 at 11:54 PM.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote