Well Water Mystery - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
dford

Rewards Points: 10

Well water mystery

I'm hoping someone can help with my well water mystery.
A couple of years ago, I had a well drilled on my property near Sharon, GA. Soon after, I noticed that my washing machine strainers were clogging. I installed a whole house filter to remove the sediment and within a couple of weeks, the filter was completely clogged. My well driller indicted that the problem was iron in the water however; a water test shows iron to be <.003.
A couple of months ago, I installed a heavy duty filler at the well head (between the well head and tank). Over the last week or so, I've noticed a decrease in pressure so figured the filters were clogged again. I first removed the whole house filter underneath my house and found the white filter had turned the typical dark brown color and sediment was present in the housing. I then opened the filter at the well head and was shocked to see that the filter was practically the same as the day it was installed. No dark color, no sediment. So, where is the sediment coming from????
I do shutoff the power to the pump and releave the pressure by opening a faucet in the house before leaving (it is a second home and I may be away a week or more at a time). Is it possible the pvc water line underground from the well to the house has a joint leak and is pulling sediment in????
Any help would be most appreciated.

Dan

Advertisement

dford27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,040

Well water mystery

Good that you are in GA., me to. Take some sediment from the "whole house" filter canister, put this in a sterile sample container (available at most pharmacies), and take that to your county's Extension Office for analysis. That's why we pay taxes in Ga. The State and UGA's extension offices offer lots of help to homeowners. You can brochures at th office as to what they offer. OR---you may find a local municipal water supplier, with a lab, who will analyze this for a small fee. David

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Water quality'n pump guy

Rewards Points: 250

Well water mystery

If this last filter is between the pump and its pressure switch you need to remove the filter before you blow the pump off the drop pipe or break the drop pipe or fittings. This decrease in pressure could be a leak casued by this filter blocking up and preventing the switch from seeing the pressure increase which allows the pump to continue to run.

Opening a faucet after shutting off the pump when leaving is allowing air, an oxidizer, into the plumbing and that oxidizes the iron into ferric iron (rust) in the pipes and that is what you see in the water. So just open and close a faucet instead. Also, if you have an air over water pressure tank instead of a bladder type tank, the air in it is doing the same thing.

Plus you may have more iron now that the well has 'aged' some than you originally had, and that would cause more rust.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Well water mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
If this last filter is between the pump and its pressure switch you need to remove the filter before you blow the pump off the drop pipe or break the drop pipe or fittings. This decrease in pressure could be a leak casued by this filter blocking up and preventing the switch from seeing the pressure increase which allows the pump to continue to run.

Opening a faucet after shutting off the pump when leaving is allowing air, an oxidizer, into the plumbing and that oxidizes the iron into ferric iron (rust) in the pipes and that is what you see in the water. So just open and close a faucet instead. Also, if you have an air over water pressure tank instead of a bladder type tank, the air in it is doing the same thing.

Plus you may have more iron now that the well has 'aged' some than you originally had, and that would cause more rust.
:thum bup:

Good rule of thumb is nothing in between the pump and the switch.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Well water mystery

I just do it the lazy way. My wells pump clean/clear water.

There is a filter on ONE well we drilled out over 1000.

The one is at a dental clinic. Their insurance carrier wanted it because of the sensitive equipment.
user69544 is offline   Reply With Quote