Well Water Issues - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

well water issues

Ok. Here's my story.
We have a well jet pump, which is in our basement, leading to a 30 gallon bladder type tank. From the bladder tank it goes through a culligan softner. No filters, yet...
On occasion the water has had the sulfer smell, which we have treated as needed by adding bleach into our culligan. Not directly into well as it is a shared well.
So about 3 weeks ago our water started to be rusty and smelling like metal. We had culligan replace a broken piston. The water cleared up after about two days of running it.
Fast forward to this week.
My jet pump is reading that it is at pressure, so it won't kick on, almost no water pressure anywhere in the house.
I figured we had a bad pressure switch.on the pump, because I could manually run the pump.
I go ahead and replace the switch, and have the same results.
At which point I put the culligan on bypass, and I.hear the water filling the pipes..
So now we have almost normal water pressure but the water is still rusty and too much sediment to use?
I'm at a loss for where the rust is coming from. And what to.do about it.
From what I can tell the well material is all pvc. The only steal piping that could be rusted is from the pump to the tank. Could that one piece of pipe cause so much rust?
Should I add a sediment filter before the culligan, and a carbon filter after it. As a fail safe? Thanks for reading ...

Advertisement

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

well water issues

I would remove the culligan valve from its tank and make sure that the part that is to break up the water flow as it goes untreated into the media tank is clear.. if that part loads up it will close off the flow of water into the house.

Advertisement

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

well water issues

Ok good idea, any idea where the rust may be coming from. It's coming from cold water mostly, I suspect it may be accumulating in the water heater? I appreciate the input. Thanks
goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 552

well water issues

after the second time when the pipe refilled how long did it stay rusty also how long did you run faucet to flush pipes
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 534

well water issues

While the type of your pressure tank is to totally exchange the water each cycle there will be some settling at the bottom of the pressure tank and then when the water completely drains off it will move that that has settled at the bottom.
The other thing is if there is some galvanized pipe any where in the system that pipe can break down on the in side and give some iron.

Water heater, iron free water in = iron free water out, if there is untreated water getting to the water heater that will take a while to change out, if there is no untreated in and there is iron water out then the water heater is failing and will need replacement.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote