Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 154

Well Water Chlorination: Bad or Good?

from what i gathered online, doing well water chlorination to address bacteria (iron and sulfur) is a good thing. but is it still a good thing if the house is a combination of galvanized and copper pipes? is the corrosive nature of bleach bad for galvanized pipes?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,030

You should not have to treat your well water for bacteria, other than wiping down the pipes and wires, and pouring a cup of bleach down the well when you switch out the pump.

If you have galvanized pipes I would get rid of them. They rust out. They haven't been used since quarters and dimes were silver. If you have acidic water you better install a neutralizer tank if you have copper, or you will have pin-holing.

The beauty of a well is that you can actually drink the water. Why would you want to screw it up with stuff you use to whiten your unmentionables?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

http://www.oowa.org/resources/PDF/CMHC_well_septic.pdf
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
You should not have to treat your well water for bacteria, other than wiping down the pipes and wires, and pouring a cup of bleach down the well when you switch out the pump.

If you have galvanized pipes I would get rid of them. They rust out. They haven't been used since quarters and dimes were silver. If you have acidic water you better install a neutralizer tank if you have copper, or you will have pin-holing.

The beauty of a well is that you can actually drink the water. Why would you want to screw it up with stuff you use to whiten your unmentionables?
i'm only thinking about chlorination because of the sulfur-reducing bacteria that's coming up. see my thread here:

Well and City Water Dilemma
Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,064

Instead of chlorination, I installed an ultraviolet purifier just downstream of my water softener. No moving parts, no chemicals to mess with, just change the bulb about once a year. Putting any chlorine at all into a septic system isn't really a good idea.

I was an engineer for a defense contractor that designed and built, among other things, military tactical water purification equipment. Most incorporated a UV purifier as part of the system. The largest unit could make 1200 gallons of potable water an hour from seawater, even if it was contaminated with NBC agents. Never expected that feature would ever be used, but when Japan had all their nuclear reactor problems a few years back and their drinking water was radioactively contaminated, several of our units on Okinawa were put to good use.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote