Well Vs. City Water Advise - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Well vs. City water advise

Okay so my house has both well and city water. The well is currently connected to just 2 outdoor spigots. Long story short, I think the pump is dead...

Now I know pricing is a no-no here, but just would like some analysis on my options.

Option 1: Get a plumber to put in a new pump. Probably expensive, $2k or so I'm guessing... Not worth 2 outdoor spigots in my opinion.

Option 2: Tie in the well lines to the city water and remove the well. I think the tie-in would be relatively cheap, the city water cuts in right by the well so it'd be maybe 1ft of pipe at most. Not sure how much the well removal would be though, any ballparks?

Option 3: Tie in the well lines to the city water and leave the well. Just throw in a shut-off valve where the city water connects to the well lines and call it a day (there's already a shutoff valve leading into the well tank). We plan on selling in around 3 years, so well removal would just be the new owners problem (or alternatively they might want a well? Who knows!). This is what I'm currently thinking, cheapest option and the only downside is a useless well tank in the basement.

Any opinions or any options I didn't think of? Don't think this is something I should DIY, my wife would kill me if we didn't have water for a few days .

Advertisement

ChrisWz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

the cheapest is just add the shutoff and repipe the spigot to the house.is there a big garden and lawn well water would be free nice selling point to a buyer coming in,and closing might to install as part of the closing.....is the pump inline of a pipe or in the basement.....put up some info Grainger and Northern tools have stuff if your cool doing it yourself...if you repiped all the spigots to a well system and a green thumb buyer saw that they would jump at it...just consider it

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

If you disclose that there is a well on property, but non-working, you will end up most likely having to either foot the costs to fix, or pay to remove the pump and have it made to no longer work, which means having a driller come in and do that work. Also, you may be in the situation that the deal may fall through, if parties are looking at the party, and do not want to deal with the costs to fix, or abate.

You need to pick your poison.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,552

What type of pump? If it is a jet pump above ground then replacement should be no where near 2K. The pump itself can be bought for under $300.
plummen (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #5

Submersible, no clue how deep. Was originally used to water the house, so I imagine it's deep? I'm just guessing on price, I have absolutely no clue really.

Just seems like a waste to install a new pump for 2 outdoor spigots...
Old 05-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWz View Post
Submersible, no clue how deep. Was originally used to water the house, so I imagine it's deep? I'm just guessing on price, I have absolutely no clue really.

Just seems like a waste to install a new pump for 2 outdoor spigots...
just tie it in to city water..put valve going well..let new owner worry about it....not a big deal when you sell cause house will still have water...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
plummen (05-29-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWz View Post
Okay so my house has both well and city water. The well is currently connected to just 2 outdoor spigots. Long story short, I think the pump is dead...
Do you also have city sewer?
Sewer bills are are based off of water usage. One common way to reduce the reduce sewer bills is to use a well for outdoor water usage that does not go down the drain. This may be the reason the outside spigots are on a well.
If you connect the outside faucets to city water some jurisdictions allow a secondary meter for water usage excluded from sewer billing. You need to check with the water company to determine where to split of the outside water. Some bill the usage as an exclusion from sewer, while others bill it as additional water usage. Here is an example becasue it shows up first in Bing results. http://www.bloomfieldtwp.org/Service...daryMeters.htm
The adjacent town has a good payback analysis at http://www.bloomfieldhillsmi.net/Dep...daryMeters.asp
Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by goosebarry; 05-31-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Add link to payback analysis
goosebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #8

I think you're absolutely right that it's to get away from higher sewer bills.

You also listed a lot of good advise there, but not sure if it really suits my needs with this house. As I said we're planning to move in the next couple years, so the upfront cost of a new meter and all the plumbing would probably end up trumping the cost of the new sewer bill.

We pretty much just water the flowers and sometimes a few patches of grass if they're getting a little brown, no sprinkler system or high volume usage - even when we were on the well. Thanks everyone for the advise though, makes the decision a lot easier.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,274

The county here pays about half the cost of sealing old wells. Yours might too. It's not all that expensive.

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote