Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Well system problem

I have a question about my well system that I need some clarification on before I move to the next step. Everything was working fine in my system, I had to remove the equipment from my pump house to get the floor repaired. I have a deep well pump then a pressure tank, which I think has a malfunctioning bladder so it just works as a water tank. Since I put everything back together after the floor repair, I don't get a build up of pressure above 30 or 35 psi. The pump is set to run from 20 to 40 and never kicks off. When I manually shut down the pump the pressure stays at the 30 or so psi until I open a faucet. Could my water tank with a possibly missing air bladder be causing the pressure problem or does it seem like this is a pump issue. I can replace the pressure tank fairly easily but don't want to waste the time and money if this is not a possible cause. The water seems to run fine giving continuous flow from the hose. Thanks for any help on this.

Aaron

aarond1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

Well system problem

Unplug the pump, drain the water pressure completely down, and check the air pressure in the tank with a tire gauge. If water spews out of the air valve, the bladder is shot and you need to replace the tank.
The tank pressure should be two psi below your pump cut-on pressure (in this case, 18 psi). If it is too low, air it up with a bicycle pump or portable air tank or compressor.
Try that and see if it solves the problem or not.
Good Luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Well system problem

Sounds like a plugged jet. If deep well jet pump (two pipes coming from well), jet assembly is unfortunately at the bottom of the drop pipe in the well. Will need to pull drop pipes out, disassemble and clean jet (nozzle) in jet assy. If only one pipe from well to pump (shallow well), jet can be found in the nose of the pump. Either way, jet will need to be cleaned and pump will have to be re-assembled and primed to correct problem.
llp&h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure tank, pump