Well And Sprinkler System - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Well and sprinkler system

I have a well pump and a sprinkler system that have been giving me issues lately.

Basically what is happening is when the sprinklers kick on I can hear water rushing from the well pump in to the system (in my basement). Usually, it's a smooth, quiet, sound of water that you can only really notice if your close. However, lately, there is a lot of gurgling (sorry, can't think of a better word) and you can definitely hear the water running even if your not in the basement.

Also, I am getting a lot of water hammer when the system is running. When the valves change, even when using a toilet or something when the sprinklers are running.

When it gets bad, it seems like the well pump is running continuously trying to maintain 30 psi.

I tried to troubleshoot for a couple days, but can't pinpoint what is happening. My water system runs perfectly normal as long as your not running the sprinklers.

Please, any tips?!

Advertisement

mihomeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

a couple of questions---

Have you checked your pressure tank? If the bladder is shot you will have the pump running constantly .

Are you in a drought area? If the well is running dry you will get air in the lines---

Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #3

Mike,
I haven't checked the pressure in the tank, but I will. You have to empty the water system to get an accurate reading on that, right? (was going to do it anyway to replace the pressure gauge)

I was telling my wife I thought it might have something to do with the fact that we haven't had much rain. We are in southeastern Michigan and it has been pretty dry. I am trying to get the sprinklers running to keep the grass somewhat green, but it's a lost cause.

We don't have much experience with wells... I know water table varies in different areas. Our well is 190 feet and I didn't think a moderate drought could affect our water supply... but it could?

Thanks for the info
Old 07-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
DIY staff

That's a deep well---I bet you are fine there---

Remove the red cap on the top if the pressure tank---there is an air filler---like on a tire---press the center to let out a tiny bit of air--if water comes out---you have a bad bladder---(there is a rubber liner)

Check the air pressure with an air gauge---one of the well people here will have to tell you the proper pressure----I have a well,but my knowledge is limited---Mike---
Old 07-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #5

I think the well is drying up and can't keep up when we are running the sprinklers... we have had some issues with drought in our area. Also the odd thing is, when we had the sprinklers on they were running twice a day. The morning run would give us problems with not enough water, but the evening run seemed OK. I guess there is more water down there in the evening hours.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
DIY staff

Let the grass go dormant---toilet wins this round---save your water and your pump--they are coolled by the water--running it dry can cost you a pump--

Call your well service and ask if the pump can be lowered----might be worth the expense--the drought is far from over---
Old 07-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #7

Yeah we caught on to the whole "turning the sprinklers off" when I realized what was happening. The grass is a lost cause it's operating pretty normally as long as the sprinklers aren't running. Yeah we don't want the pump to run dry, that is for sure. I'd think about lowering it but it's already 190 feet and a lot of our neighbors are less than that... but many are still running their sprinklers! So either they have more water in the 120 foot range or they haven't noticed the issues.

Wish I knew more about how the water tables worked, but for now, sprinklers off. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
DIY staff

Have you called your well service yet?

Advertisement