Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #1

Share |

Well pump won't turn off (help please)

New-ish poster here. (I posted some time back about a tub replacement and found this site VERY helpful ins solving that problem) and I've run into another problem!

Here are the hardware specs:
  • 60 ft. deep well lines, 30-ish ft. water table
  • Myers 1/2 HP Jet pump
  • Brand new (I installed it trying to fix the problem) Square D 30-50 psi switch (still factory "tuned")
  • Re-charged (turns out my shrader (sp?) valve had been leaking I think) Well Mate tank filled to 28.5 psi
  • MAY BE AN ISSUE HERE - I just read the tank and it can hold a charge of 40 psi from the factory...will this be an issue with the 30/50 switch?
  • The pump does not lose pressure when the power is shut off (i.e. no leaks/running outlets above ground)
  • The tank will read an accurate (with two diff. gauges 70+ psi) before I shut the power down.
  • It slows in building pressure as it fills, but I've not let it run to completion for fear of getting myself blown up!

I have the power to the unit shut off so the motor won't continue to run.

Help please!

Thanks in advance!

Mike

muhren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
STAFF

I use to have a deep well but don't know all there is to know about them but I would say your regulator isn't working right if the pump keeps pumping and won't shut down. One of the other fellow who knows there stuff will be here and let you know for sure soon.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #3

As I understand wells, which isn't much, on/off is controlled by a pressure switch, usually inside the house at the pressure tank. When the press drops below a set point it comes on, when it reaches the high set point it goes off. My guess would be to first check the switch and adjustments.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:09 AM   #4

I would watch the presseure switch, to see if the points are opening, or not. If they open, and the pump continues to run, I would suspect that something may not be wired properly. If they are not opening, I would suspect that there is a blockage in the plumbing to the pressure switch, or that the pressure switch is either not set properly or defective.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
I would watch the presseure switch, to see if the points are opening, or not. If they open, and the pump continues to run, I would suspect that something may not be wired properly. If they are not opening, I would suspect that there is a blockage in the plumbing to the pressure switch, or that the pressure switch is either not set properly or defective.
I figured pressure switch as well, which is why I replaced it.

I guess I forgot to mention that we've been in the house for 8 years and this is the first time I've even touched the pressure switch (i.e. never had a problem before)

I assume it's wired correctly as there are only four contact points and I numbered them and reconnected them just as they were before.

If there is a blockage getting to the pressure switch (which I'm feeling it might be?) is that in the rubber/plastic tubing leading from the pump to the switch? Two ends that bolt into the pump & switch?

If that is the piece, do I replace it or try to clean it out? If clean out, how is that done?

Thanks!

M
Old 09-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhren View Post
I figured pressure switch as well, which is why I replaced it.

I guess I forgot to mention that we've been in the house for 8 years and this is the first time I've even touched the pressure switch (i.e. never had a problem before)

I assume it's wired correctly as there are only four contact points and I numbered them and reconnected them just as they were before.

If there is a blockage getting to the pressure switch (which I'm feeling it might be?) is that in the rubber/plastic tubing leading from the pump to the switch? Two ends that bolt into the pump & switch?

If that is the piece, do I replace it or try to clean it out? If clean out, how is that done?

Thanks!

M
Normally, that tube won't get blocked right out of nowhere. It's usually a slow process, had it happen at my house a couple of times.

You'd start to notice as the orifice gets smaller that (especially in the shower) the pressure will drop all the way down to just a bare trickle for a few seconds before the pump turns on.
muhren (09-16-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Normally, that tube won't get blocked right out of nowhere. It's usually a slow process, had it happen at my house a couple of times.

You'd start to notice as the orifice gets smaller that (especially in the shower) the pressure will drop all the way down to just a bare trickle for a few seconds before the pump turns on.
Totally did that! It was the slip & slide for the kids, but it did drop to zero..that's what started this "repair" process!

So, how do I go about replacing or cleaning the tubing out??

M
Old 09-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

UPDATE:

It's an hour after cleaning out the completely blocked plastic tubing and everything seems to be operating normally. I had no idea that tubing could become blocked in the first place.

Thanks for the info/tip Alan!

I feel like I earned a punch in my man card today!

M
Old 09-17-2011, 06:14 AM   #9

While you are at it, redo the pressure tank calibration in 3 steps: (1) using low pressure with the pump off, empty out the pressure tank, (2) turn the system back on, and (3) repressurized to 28 lb or whatever.

If the pressure tank instructions call for it, do step: (1-1/2) repressurize the tank to the specified pressure. Too much pressure at this time can cause the tank bladder to herniate into the water pipe opening and damage the bladder.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-17-2011 at 06:18 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhren View Post
UPDATE:

It's an hour after cleaning out the completely blocked plastic tubing and everything seems to be operating normally. I had no idea that tubing could become blocked in the first place.

Thanks for the info/tip Alan!

I feel like I earned a punch in my man card today!

M
If you felt up to it, the fittings CAN be replaced to eliminate that plastic tubing. You pretty much have your choice of what you want to use. You can put compression adapters on there and use some L copper tubing or even use a braided stainless flex supply to make the connection. That makes it easier to clean it later if you are having problems there.